Bloodthirst; a master craft - 90%

Ovxul, November 9th, 2017
Written based on this version: 1999, 12" vinyl, Metal Blade Records

Well I do love Cannibal Corpse, that's a fact. I've been listening to them since they formed in 1988 and I've only been let down a couple of times by "The Bleeding" and "Tomb of the Mutilated." Not so with this album, however. "Bloodthirst" in and out is a straightforward death metal album, or rather a special brand of death metal. A brand that incorporates melody with brutality very eloquently. From the striking cover art to the sharp music within, I've got a lot to like here.

George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher. He's a singer with a far better range and depth than his predecessor Chris Barnes. I'm a fan of his highs and lows when singing, which are on on display quite well on "Dead Human Collection."

Guitarists Jack Owen and Pat O' Brien provide their money's worth on "Bloodthirst" with some fantastic solos and intuitive and inventive riffs, like on the album's opener "Pounded into Dust." I like the interplay between both guitarists on "Ecstacy in Decay;" I think it fits very well into the heavy and unique style this album has. Alex Webster provides the lyrics and the rumbling bass lines here, most notably on "Coffin Feeder," where Alex fits in between the beating drums and guitars. His lyrics however can leave you confused and perhaps a little bewildered because I don't feel he gets the message that he wants to fully get across on "Bloodthirst" with his lyrical content.

Paul Mazurkiewicz, drummer and co-lyricist is good (and I say good because he does one thing better than anyone else and that's blastbeats) and on point for this entire album and he doesn't falter once. He's a big inspiration for myself as a drummer because I like his approach and the overall way he goes about using his skills as a drummer.

And to close this review off, the reason "Bloodthirst" only gets a ninety and not a hundred percent score is because of the last track: "Condemned to Agony." I'm honest when I say this track shouldn't have made onto the record. It's through no fault of the musicians at hand, it's merely what they choose to do for this song, and that's seemingly nothing for 3 minutes and 44 seconds other than some stale riffing and drumming. Again, it's not the fault of the musicians, it's what they've chosen to create as a song.

"Bloodthirst" is an album I still listen to and I consider it a watershed moment for Cannibal Corpse back when it was released in 1999.