Well done, but excessive cheese - 80%

bobdahl, January 8th, 2011

Gather the Faithful is an album you feel ashamed to like, and definitely not one you like because of peer pressure. No, in fact, the lyrics are so painfully wimpy that if you are not a wimp yourself, the only choice is to ignore the actual words sung.

So Cain's Offering was formed by Jani Liimatainen after he spent time in jail for not doing his military duties, and has to leave Sonata Arctica because of it. It turned into an all-star project because well, Jani Liimatainen, Timo Kotipelto, Mikko Härkin and Jukka Koskinen are no small names in the Finnish metal scene.

In the terms of music, this is pretty much love or hate, and really, the status of this as a metal release is understandably questioned by a lot of people. And me included. Instrumentally, I think that for once, that the bass is overlooking the rhythm guitar. Seriously, Jani only shines during his solos, because that's when you actually notice him playing. It's not helped by the fact that Timo Kotipelto steals the show behind the microphone either. If someone deserves credit for the album, it is this guy. Not only is he a great singer, but he manages to make the silly lyrics sound decent. The keyboards play a big part and they are fairly impressing. The drumming is powerful and precise.

The songs are all pretty solid, however "More Than Friends" is none of my favorites, that's where I draw the cheese line. In fact, the instrumental title track is undoubtedly the strongest track...because it's an instrumental track. The songs are memorable and well produced, but nearly destroyed by the lyrics. If you like power metal no matter what the theme is. Cain's Offering should be on the list. If you are conservative and want metal to be pure metal, then stay away for your own best.