Video game music - 45%

linkavitch, July 27th, 2009

Dauði Baldrs, which is the first of two ambient albums, is somewhat of an ambient release I guess. Unlike the later album Hliðskjálf, this album is composed entirely out of a MIDI keyboard. It’s hard to build any sort of ambience to draw the listening into with MIDI sounds though, so listening to Dauði Baldrs sometimes gets your bored, rather it be the MIDI device used on this album, or the fact that all the songs (especially the longer ones) are dragged on and on constantly having the same two or three MIDI melodies repeated over and over one after another.

Dauði Baldrs is entirely used with a MIDI device so the overall sound is like an 80’s Nintendo game. That alone might annoy people enough not to get this, for the actual sound given off is basically an old Nintendo game soundtrack. This doesn’t bother me that much like it would others so I don’t really have a huge problem with Varg using a MIDI keyboard for this release.

Ambience is the thing that this album does not have however, which is due to the MIDI sound. Out of the six songs there’s about two different emotions that you can pick up on, happy and sad. “Hermoðr Á Helferð” is the only track that gives off any sort of positive atmosphere only due to the cheese melody used for the two minute length. The rest of the songs sound as if they’re supposed to be depressing or something, although the line between depressed and bored is very thin here.

Every song has about three melodies repeated over and over, which is why this is such a repetitive and boring album. The fact that there’s really little to no atmosphere at all is also why it will bore you (as it did me). The best track on here would have to be “Illa Tiðandi”, which is also the longest track on here. Not for the fact that it does anything interesting, but only for the fact that this is the only track that I can pick up any sort of sadness. It’s a really slow paced song, with a repetitive keyboard, and if you listen to it late at night it can sometimes make you depressed and tired. But other than that no real songs stick out.

The one thing that would save this album would be the lyrical booklet. They are supposed to tell what is going on in the song. They don’t really work for me though. I don’t know if it’s the fact that I don’t have a good imagination, or that Varg can picture what I can’t in his music. They make interesting reading nonetheless, and if you can picture what’s going on you might find some joy in this album.

It may seem like a bad album to you, as a lot of people will not like this album. The songs are lengthy, all have about three melodies played through the entire song, and it’s made entirely out of a MIDI keyboard. I for one don’t necessary hate it, for I can tolerate the MIDI sound. I can listen to it in the background with no problem even though I might get a little bored. This album is basically just elevator music for me. But I could also go my entire life without ever hearing it again and I wouldn’t care also.