Waste of time - 10%

Midnyte13, June 21st, 2011

I've often said that black metal band members should not attempt to do "ambient" or "neoclassical" side projects. This album is a shining example of everything that's wrong with black metal band members trying to branch out. The underground black metal scene exists in its own world with its own bizarre rules. In the world of black metal it's possible to achieve fame from throwing together sloppy, poorly written, and poorly recorded albums. Creativity, experimentation, and high production values are often shunned. What these band members don't realize is that these values will not translate well into other musical genres.

Enter: Dauði Baldrs

The first sound heard is a solo violin melody of such unacceptable quality that it makes me shake my head in disbelief even after owning this album over a decade. Remember the old days of the internet when people had Geocities webpages that would force your sound card to play little MIDI songs? That's what this entire album sounds like. So this is it, folks. We're only five seconds into this album and it's clear that it's going to be a loooong journey.

After enduring almost nine minutes of repetitive string/saxophone/timpani drivel, I'm about to hit the next track button when track two kicks in. What a breath of fresh air. Track two begins with a quick, beautiful harp melody, topped with that same annoying violin sound from the first track. The melody it self really is quite beautiful and dreamlike, but it quickly wears out its welcome around the 1:00 mark when you realize that it's going to be another repetitive, four note song.

There's really not much more worth saying about this album. The rest of the tracks are comprised of violin/string/timpani/choir sounds. Pretty much every track establishes its melody by the 0:20 mark and just repeats it to the point of nausea. There are very few redeeming qualities about this album. The whole low-fi, primitive, sort of thing might work within black metal, but this album is a failure for trying to apply those characteristics to classical music.