© 2002-2020

Burial Invocation - Rituals of the grotesque LP - 80%

Phuling, November 21st, 2010

Turkey’s got a pretty flourishing underground black metal scene, they’ve got a couple of great grindcore acts, some killer brutal death metal bands, but up until I heard Burial Invocation I didn’t know of a single old school death metal constellation. The members are/have been affiliated with Nettlethrone, Decaying Purity as well as Cenotaph, so the lads have obviously got a history of producing death metal. Rituals of the grotesque is their debut release, and to my knowledge it’s received nothing but praise from the old school aficionados out there.

It’s not hard to understand why, and it doesn’t take long before the stark atmosphere hits you. As soon as the opening riff of Beyond sets in I fall in love with Burial Invocation. The atmosphere, the sound, the riff itself, it all reeks of Dead Congregation worship. And since that’s one of my favourite bands I can’t help but find it oh-so-lovely. It’s extremely atmospheric music, and it’s done completely without the help of samples, keys or anything of the sorts, but with a dense, utterly dark production and a keen sense of melody. Riffing-wise they whip out a whole bunch of slick, hard-hitting guitar lines to catch your attention, and underneath it lays a solid core of catchy riffs from both guitars and bass. Haunted crypts of the ancient dead houses an extremely powerful set of guitar lines, complementing the dark and doomy aura perfectly. But it’s not only the atmosphere that possesses a doomy feel, but musically as well. They move from faster, and somewhat brutal, death metal to slow, utterly haunting melodies. All while the vocals are solely that of a deep and dark kind.

While I do get a strong Dead Congregation vibe throughout Rituals of the grotesque it’s far from a copycat release. I get a vibe of Undergang, Winter, Father Befouled, Hooded Menace, Coffins and Incantation as well, and even a South American flair from Infinitum Obscure. It’s an extremely atmospheric, utterly dark, obscure and powerful-as-hell debut. Not a single note on the record feels redundant, no riff is a filler and the production fits their agenda perfectly. Without a doubt a band to be on the lookout for in the future.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net