© 2002-2018

Burial Earth - Burial Earth EP - 90%

padshiyangel01, October 7th, 2011

I’ll just go ahead and say it now: I do not recall the last time I was so excited about a début demo EP from one band. Right from first listen I was completely hooked with Burial Earth’s self-titled teaser, a 3-track blend of melodic death metal with some blackened touches. The Dutch band were originally called Docile, changing their name after vocalist JJ left, and with a new frontman comes a new and more mature approach in style.

First up is “Burnt”, a strong mid-paced introduction with a heavy low end provided by bassist Regensburg and drummer Samuel, while Boukes and Huie trade riffs and chug in balanced amounts, some tasteful choral work, and topped off with new addition Van Der Hart’s mid-level rasp and scorching growls. The band display a tight sense of unity as they move through melodic leads and blackened tremolos, although the song lacks a defined structure in either music or lyrics, the latter of which are a demand to open your eyes: “Man shall no longer be confined by the choices we make”.

A more melodic side opens up “October”, with great drum fills as the song speeds up, then segues into a sorrowful guitar solo. A great demonstration of tempo change, it’s also guaranteed to get a few necks moving, even if the bass could do with a bit of volume and the outro is slightly over-extended. The vocalist, overlapping with Boukes, has a great knack for knowing when each style suits both lyrics and music, the topic this time being a feeling of loss and emptiness, and the first time where their Christian influences appear.

Final track “Witness To Beauty And Decay” is the fastest of the openings, with a great underlying riff and Van Der Hart’s growls being particularly powerful. The juxtaposed melodic section is also very effective here, and the solo is particularly melancholic. The Christianity in the lyrics finally emerges, with reference to the Rose Of Jericho, although not in a way which puts me off listening, but instead seem quite poetic.

This EP has plenty of ideas floating around, it becomes difficult to place similar bands with such a wide range of influences. Any metal lover should do well to check this out, if you are at least a fan of harsh vocals. I personally cannot wait for Burial Earth to get a début full-length out with this line-up and widen their concert field to outside The Netherlands and Germany.

Originally posted at www.mostlymetal.wordpress.com