© 2002-2020

The 80's are back!!! - 85%

Infernali, May 29th, 2006

Bullet are an old metaller’s dream, they make you cast your mind back to the early 1980’s, when AC/DC, Accept, Judas Priest and Saxon were at the top of their game. There are no cheesy keyboard intros anywhere to be heard, as the album kicks in like the bikes adorning the cover, and you shift from one quality song after another. Starting off with an AC/DC style riff with what could only be described as UDO’s son on vocals. Hell Hofer is very similar to the said Teutonic dude, but that’s not to say he is deliberately cloned or that it’s forced. On the contrary, his voice is refreshing within today’s shouting, screaming and growling. Throughout the CD his voice intermingles with DC style Johnston inflections to the UDO gritty gravel. Each song offers everything you’d expect from 1980’s heavy metal, and I mean heavy metal, no speed, thrash, death or retro style shenanigans. No song is too slow or too fast. The album does remind me of the classic Restless and Wild album quite often with the duelling guitar leads and anthemic songs. There are plenty of the clichéd song titles, like Turn It Up Loud and Bang Your Head. The songs however are not cheesy at all. Personal fave Rambling Man starts off like Burning from Accepts’ Breaker album with its rolling rhythm and high velocity riff. Speeding in the Night is probably the song that most people will like, as it contains numerous blistering guitar solos played by both guitarists as you can actually hear the difference in tone. The emotion and passion strikes you very hard with pulsating bass lines and great riffs in every song. The rhythm section is steady and well balanced in the mix, with each snare, bass drum and cymbal hit complimenting each other very nicely to have you tapping your feet and practising your air drums and stick twirling with a couple of pencils (don’t say I’m the only one who does that). I’m not totally convinced with the canned audience dubbed over in a couple of the songs, especially at the end of Bang Your Head, which drifts too close to Hammerfall for my liking. The test for an album like this, is does it make you want to listen to DC, Accept or Priest instead and the answer is a resounding NO. A great release.

Astonishing modern Heavy Metal - 91%

Rooster, May 17th, 2006

It seems that very few bands these days are able to pull off a successful Heavy Metal vibe, reminiscent of something from the 80s, without sounding either overtly cheesy, or straight up gay. Bullet manage to properly hone their sound to something of an amalgamation of AC/DC, Accept, Judas Priest, and Motorhead. These powerhouse influences make a recipe for awesome.

Vocalist Dag Hell Hofer (what a name eh?) sounds extremely similar to Bon Scott, or even Brian Johnson of AC/DC - along with Udo from Accept. I've always been a fan of these bands, and I'm sure more Heavy Metal enthusiasts agree. Really, there's not much more that can be said about them: just get that visualization of a raw sounding Heavy Metal croon on volume 11. The guitars are similar to Judas Priest, and even Motorhead. Each song is extremely catchy, with guitar riffs and original solos to boot. Not many modern Metal bands I listen to today are able to get songs stuck in my head, or are even memorable, but Bullet had me singing "Heading for the top!" in my head all day long. The only thing wrong with this release is that, much like AC/DC, the vocals can get repetitive sometimes. Let's face it, if you've heard one AC/DC album, you've heard 'em all. It's like that with Heading For The Top, too. This isn't necessarily a BAD thing, since the vocals are pretty killer - I'm just saying, that sometimes it could get boring if you were to listen to it 12 times a day. Overall, a fantastic merit to traditional Metal, done in a modern timesetting.

If you want some great wholesome Heavy Metal with balls and guts, check out Bullet.

- Keegan