Forgetable. - 22%

1NumberHigherThan665, September 30th, 2011

After their amazing debut album "Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses", it seems that Brutal Truth just wasn't pleased with the idea of basic grindcore. Now I have nothing wrong with experimentation, in fact I love it. However, what's the one thing needed for experimentation to work? It needs creativity, which is one thing Brutal Truth seems to lack, but that doesn't seem to stop the New York grindcore band from trying as hard as they can to stand out. Now, I'll admit there is much, much worse "experimental" grindcore out there (I'm looking at you Cephalic Carnage) but the main issue with Brutal Truth experimentation isn't that it's bad, but forgettable, which is the case for this album.

There are various issues with this album, but let's start with the main issue in my opinion, the production. I'm still in shock that something sounds this bad could have actually been released on a major label, but then again, this is the same band who thought "Sounds of the Animal Kingdom" sounded good so I guess I can't be too shocked. It's almost as if the band did everything in their power to drown out the guitars to make them almost inaudible over the drums, to the point where the only time you can even make out a single riff is when there are no drums, which plays a big part in why this album is so forgettable. I've listened to this album nearly 5 times, and I still can't remember any good riffs.

Now let's move on to the drumming. I have never heard such disregard for rhythm in my life, and this is grindcore! A genre where the drumming is usually just machine gun blast beats and out of all the grindcore I've heard, this just might be the worst grindcore drumming I have ever heard. Obviously simple blast beats aren't good enough for Brutal Truth so instead they have this terrible, obnoxious and overall incompetent style of drumming. It's as if the drummer is trying as hard as he can to create something unique for grindcore and it just ends up as a complete mess that drags the album down.

With piss poor drumming, barely audible guitars and virtually nothing to remember about this album, it makes me wish Brutal Truth would have taken the route of bands like Bolt Thrower and stick with the style they play best instead of trying to create some new sound for grindcore when they have proven time and time again that they just don't have the creativity to do so. If you're looking for some creative grindcore, try a band like Japanische Kampfhörspiele and just don't bother with this album. You will get virtually nothing out of it.