A more rockish approach; still brilliant. - 96%

Foundapathy, December 20th, 2008

Let’s get right down to it: Boris rule. They have something that I think a lot of bands don’t have, and that is soul. You hear them once and you hear them again; you can instantly tell it’s them. On Smile, they carry on a similar style to Pink but with a much catchier and simpler approach. Songs such as “My Neighbour Satan” and “Statement” become instantly addictive and heart warming, forgive me for being a bit emotional but after hearing Smile the whole way through, I felt warm inside. The band is a genuine example of musicians who make music for the sake of making music, not just for the money and profit.

Throughout these eight tracks, there is a lot of emotion being expressed. Whether it is despair, the opener “Flower Sun Rain” is a slow start to the album, it takes the listener to a journey of depression, sorrow; although, it’s hard to understand what Atsuo is singing obviously because it’s in Japanese, it’s easy to interpret through the emotion of his voice. Distorted and unbelievably energetic single chords follow by the lovely Wata. For a woman and I don’t mean to come off as sexist but my god, does this woman kick ass on guitar. I don’t think I’ve heard a better female guitarist. BUZZ-In begins with the laughter of a baby; if that doesn’t make you smile I don’t know what does (pun intended). It’s a straight forward rock track that makes you want to run around naked and scream “I love boobs”. A much less gloomy song compared to the first track. Next in, Laser Beam, it begins in a similar style of Buzz-In and is another rock song. Noise drenched 70’s progressive rock influenced riffs are infinity present in this song and throughout album, which gives Smile an old-school feel.

Overall, this is another excellent offering by Boris. I thoroughly recommend it as it is a great listen and a hell of a lot of fun. I’m actually surprised no one else has bothered to review it, ah well.