Jethro Sabbath. - 80%

Andromeda_Unchained, April 4th, 2012

I'm really into this whole occult heavy/doom thing that seems to be all the rage at the moment, particularly the bands that incorporate a lot of 70's sensibilities into their sound. I really enjoy acts such as Jex Thoth, The Devil's Blood, Witch Mountain and Ghost, Canada's Blood Ceremony can sit right between those acts in terms of style and quality. However Blood Ceremony ensure that they can stand out amongst the crowd, and incorporate quite a lot of flutes and organs, which I think gives the band quite a bit of progressive rock to their sound; think along the lines of Camel, Yes and Jethro Tull.

Of course the riffs are straight out of the Sabbath handbook, but by the gods are they played with heart and conviction, which when coupled with a perfectly vintage guitar tone sounds ace. The rhythm section here is well accomplished with some tasty drum fills and sexual bass lines. The album cover is awesome, and the use of reds and oranges really bleeds through the music filling the room with a spectral haze dripping morose desert heat. Alia's vocals are both enticing and playful, and really suit the music well. She proves an exceptional talent with excellent flute and organ skills. The flute might be off putting to some, as there is a wealth of moments across Blood Ceremony when they take the centre stage. Check out "I'm Coming With You" for a good example of how Blood Ceremony utilizes the flute.

Those who enjoy the flute or can look past it are going to find an excellent album for their listening pleasures. Great riffs, songs, performances, and vocals; there really isn't much wrong here. Fans of the bands I've mentioned earlier are no doubt going to love this, especially those who love the 70's psychedelic sound. Recommended.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com