© 2002-2021

Shake Off That Rigor Mortis - 46%

televiper11, November 5th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1992, CD, Triple X Records

Blohole's Leave It To... Blohole is an album I came across in the early 90's while digging into various Ministry side-projects and other associated bands. I was aware that guitarist Mike Scaccia had played in a crossover/thrash band called Rigor Mortis and that this influence was a large factor in Ministry morphing into a much more metal based band but I couldn't find Rigor Mortis albums to purchase where I lived so I settled on Blohole instead, an album I dug out of my college radio station's discard bin.

Blohole formed as a one-off lark for the ex-Rigor Mortis members to blow off some steam and bash out some unabashedly punk rock oriented crossover/thrash. It's a fast, engaging, fun listen but it lacks the ferocity, anger, and heaviness of Rigor Mortis so fans of that band need to keep a slightly open-mind to enjoy this. The best tracks on here are the first three: "Broke," "Leave Me Alone," & "King Of The Scene" deliver very thrashy, extremely simplistic two-step crossover punk with very catchy choruses and lyrics that gently poke fun at scene politics, political correctness, and notions of fame and 'selling out' (Casey Orr delivers these lines with a punk rock sneer, a change from his Rigor Mortis style). If these three songs had come out as an EP, I would be giving this album a much higher rating. Unfortunately, the simplistic nature of these tunes falters as latter songs don't deliver much variation on style or theme. "Cockroaches Never Die" is interestingly dirge-like with power metal-esque guitar leads (the only time the guitars really bust out of their three-chord rut) and "Easy Way Out" matches the earlier three tunes in its energetic vitriol. But I could honestly leave the rest, particularly their inane covers of The Mutants' "Piece Of Shit" and ZZ Top's "Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers" -- these tunes were bad ideas and Blohole's execution of them is rather mundane. The attempted party thrash anthem, "All Fucked Up," might be interesting to people who dig that style (and it has a nice solo) but I've never really dug that style.

One nice plus is the very clean, very tight production job by Kerry Crafton. The guitars are vibrant, sharp, and crisp with the bass well anchored and audible and the drums brisk and snappy (I love that tight 90's snare sound). This level of production makes even the worst tunes here at least listenable. In the end though, Leave It To... Blohole is more of a curiosity than a necessary listen. Four great tunes over a ten track playlist isn't a favorable ratio and the music mostly pales in comparison to Rigor Mortis, Ministry, Warbeast, or any of the other affiliated bands that spun out of them.