© 2002-2021

Don't be afraid to wipe! - 76%

Galactus, July 17th, 2019

With Rigor Mortis calling it quits in 1991, some of the band's unspent energy birthed a short-lived crossover act known as Blohole. Trading-in the violent speed and thrash metal extremities of their parent group for the angst and airheaded-ness of crossover, Blohole retained their sense of humour, and clocking in at just under 29 minutes, Leave it to Blohole is an entertaining, offbeat entry to the genre. Bassist Casey Orr takes on vocal duties with a cheerful aggression, whilst the late and great Mike Scaccia shows restraint on guitar duty. Talented X-Cops and one-time Rigor Mortis drummer Mike Dunn rounds off the line-up.

Six of the album's ten tracks are faithful, straightforward stabs at the genre (almost to the point of parody), with Scaccia's schizophrenic soloing thrown in for an extra (if jarring) dimension. Covers "Piece of Shit" (The Mutants) and "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" (ZZ Top) are amusingly goofy highlights, and along with Blohole's crack at a boozy genre anthem, "All Fucked Up", are a must for any party-metal playlist.

Blohole breaks routine for the remaining originals: "Cockroaches Never Die" is a galloping, not-quite-groove industrial oddity, and the drum-machine relentlessness of "Eaten by Rats" bears more than a passing resemblances to early output from Ministry side-project Lard (a punk-infused industrial metal outfit fronted by Jello Biafra of Dead Kennedys). Scaccia, of course, would have a hand in shaping Ministry's iconic hybrid of industrial thrash metal, so it's neat to hear him dicking around with the genre beforehand.

The crappy album cover should be the tip-off that there's no serious intent behind this release. Thankfully, Leave it to Blohole keeps the joke short and sweet, and it pays off.

Spin to Win:
"Broke"
"Piece of Shit"
"Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers"

Shake Off That Rigor Mortis - 46%

televiper11, November 5th, 2014
Written based on this version: 1992, CD, Triple X Records

Blohole's Leave It To... Blohole is an album I came across in the early 90's while digging into various Ministry side-projects and other associated bands. I was aware that guitarist Mike Scaccia had played in a crossover/thrash band called Rigor Mortis and that this influence was a large factor in Ministry morphing into a much more metal based band but I couldn't find Rigor Mortis albums to purchase where I lived so I settled on Blohole instead, an album I dug out of my college radio station's discard bin.

Blohole formed as a one-off lark for the ex-Rigor Mortis members to blow off some steam and bash out some unabashedly punk rock oriented crossover/thrash. It's a fast, engaging, fun listen but it lacks the ferocity, anger, and heaviness of Rigor Mortis so fans of that band need to keep a slightly open-mind to enjoy this. The best tracks on here are the first three: "Broke," "Leave Me Alone," & "King Of The Scene" deliver very thrashy, extremely simplistic two-step crossover punk with very catchy choruses and lyrics that gently poke fun at scene politics, political correctness, and notions of fame and 'selling out' (Casey Orr delivers these lines with a punk rock sneer, a change from his Rigor Mortis style). If these three songs had come out as an EP, I would be giving this album a much higher rating. Unfortunately, the simplistic nature of these tunes falters as latter songs don't deliver much variation on style or theme. "Cockroaches Never Die" is interestingly dirge-like with power metal-esque guitar leads (the only time the guitars really bust out of their three-chord rut) and "Easy Way Out" matches the earlier three tunes in its energetic vitriol. But I could honestly leave the rest, particularly their inane covers of The Mutants' "Piece Of Shit" and ZZ Top's "Beer Drinkers And Hell Raisers" -- these tunes were bad ideas and Blohole's execution of them is rather mundane. The attempted party thrash anthem, "All Fucked Up," might be interesting to people who dig that style (and it has a nice solo) but I've never really dug that style.

One nice plus is the very clean, very tight production job by Kerry Crafton. The guitars are vibrant, sharp, and crisp with the bass well anchored and audible and the drums brisk and snappy (I love that tight 90's snare sound). This level of production makes even the worst tunes here at least listenable. In the end though, Leave It To... Blohole is more of a curiosity than a necessary listen. Four great tunes over a ten track playlist isn't a favorable ratio and the music mostly pales in comparison to Rigor Mortis, Ministry, Warbeast, or any of the other affiliated bands that spun out of them.