A Dissapointment for a Fan - 75%

GoddessofThunder, October 30th, 2005

While visiting Montreal, I picked up a copy of Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Sometime during my ride back to the airport, I opened up the case to find a copy of Tales From the Twilight World. Hoping that perhaps it would be up to par with the album I had intended to buy, I was dissapointed.

As a Blind Guardian fan who was introduced to the band during their middle era with such releases as Somewhere Far Beyond and Imagination From the Other Side, Tales From the Twilight World is a noticebly earlier release and the style leans towards their speedier beginnings at times. It lacks a lot of the epic, rich sound that Blind Guardian became known for with more recent releases.

While the songs are good, they are not great. This could be said for the entire album. A strong point of the music is defintely Hansi's vocals. This is one thing that has never been weak since Blind Guardian's entrance into the world of power metal, and although this album is sloppier than those that come after it, Hansi's voice manages to stay strong in both clean vocals and his few shouts.

Andre, Marcus, and Thomen really get some cred, however, for Weird Dreams, an awesome insturmental. Despite the lack of Hansi, track three is probably one of the best on the CD. Another superb song is quite reliant on Hansi; Lord of the Rings. A beautiful acoustic ballad, Lord of the Rings is like a foreshadowing of the band's future. And, of course, you have the energetic Lost in the Twilight Hall, which features dual vocals with the help of Gamma Ray's Kai Hansen.

However, there are some tracks that miss the mark completely. Tommyknockers is dragged out and simply boring, while Altair 4 seems like a filler track that could easily be removed.

A good album, but not up to par with Blind Guardian's later efforts.