Vicious, in-your-face, no games metalcore - 90%

grimwinter13, March 5th, 2019

I've said it befofe: Bleeding Through are one of the few metalcore bands who consistently avoid the genre-typicals' tendency to fall into a routine of monotony, generics, and sappiness. And I really hate to sound like I'm sucking up to the band or being a fanboy, especially since die-hard fans of Bleeding Through, such as myself, can't seem to say enough to get the point across that these guys (and one girl) are and always have been on a whole 'nother level above their contemporaries. But I won't waste time making that point again, like I did in my review of This Is Love, This Is Murderous. To honestly look at BT's musical output, you gotta strip away all the baggage and negative connotations that come with something as silly as a genre label. When you get past all the internet bickering and look at The Truth for what it is...well, it really is that good.

The biggest difference between this and BT's earlier work is the much neater production. Now, often times this can go two ways. In the case of The Truth, a lot of the album's depth and power relies on the polished mixing/mastering work because it's a very layered album. Aside from the standard instrumentation and Marta Peterson's keys, BT utilize just about every effect you could ask for, in a multitude of ways. The guitar tones have a much more varied texture to them through using a plethora of unique FX and tone, most notably on the closing title track. Not to mention, Brian Schieppati (vocalist) is really pushing his range to the max on this record - his cleans, which are more than acceptable and certainly very emotional, aren't just used for dramatic effect like on previous releases. He's employing them frequently for actual, anthemic choruses - a big part playing to make The Truth impossible to forget. Screams-wise, he's added in higher pitched screams as well in addition to the aggressive barking that led the rest of this incredibly aggressive breed of metalcore.

Also on that note, this album is so heavy. You gotta give some cred' to BT for being able to keep to their signature style of metalcore and heartbreaky lyrics without sacrificing the sonic aggression, and oh boy do they deliver on The Truth. And it's not like their other albums before were necessarily any softer. This album is just so much more in-your-face. It hits so much harder because everything that's happening is heard the way they intended. Not one empty space was left unfilled unless by intention. With this, you're getting the full package of a genuinely pounding metallic hardcore album complemented by another more melodic, emotionally sensitive half.

Without all the instrumental and effect layering, the composition of riffs is really minimalistic. It's the metalcore standard - thrashy, groovy hardcore riffs, Swedish/melodic pivot riffing, and chugging breakdowns. What's setting BT apart from the hoards of other metalcore bands is their ability to structure these fundamental parts smartly. By this, I mean not every song is following a perfectly repeated formula. Maybe they'll focus mainly on thrash metal riff: "For Love and Failing" and "She's Gone". Maybe they wanna do some melodeath stuff: "Confession", "Hollywood Prison". Or maybe they want to write an them that'll have fans singing and shouting the words back in a live setting: "Love in Slow Motion" and "Kill to Believe". It's all about each song having its own specific role to play, so with every new track, you're getting something a little unique. My best example of this is "Line in the Sand" - a ballad, which seems unlikely for BT. And yet, "Line in the Sand" is so emotionally-charged that even though the song has a softer and more heartfelt feel, it's still very much a Bleeding Through song.

The Truth doesn't need to be uber-technical or mind-blowingly inventive because it's catchy, and that works. BT found their formula already, and now they're just taking that signature sound they've got and pushing it to the limit. Is this my favorite Bleeding Through album? Probably not. It's a very close second to This Is Love, This Is Murderous - that album edging this out for its approach and genre significance. And yet, I still recommend The Truth to anyone interested in checking out Bleeding Through for the first time. In fact, I'd recommend this very album to a first time listener because it's an accessible record with catchy riffs and memorable choruses. It does all of that and yet seems to never lose its edge and remain a ferocious piece of thrashy metalcore. Hell yeah.

Best songs: "Kill to Believe", "For Love and Failing"", "Line in the Sand"