More like Blasturbation Masters - 25%

Shadow0fDeath, October 10th, 2004

Blastmasters is yet another shitty, weak, grind//death band to come along in this modern day and age. As their name states, they overuse blastbeats to a point where it gets annoying halfway through each song. I mean the drummer hardly fucking stops the damn blasturbation as one could call it. I don't mind blastbeats but they overused the liberty of them hear and instead seem to enjoy pounding an endless headache.

The guitars are great though. Fast, brutal, and well playing. It could be much better, but it doesn't necessarily need to be technical this time around. It's very fitting, and one of the whole aspects of listening to this demo that made it worthwile. A couple decent solos. Nothing mindblowing though.

The vocalist annoyed me to. It was just random shouting. Nothing creative or new in terms of death metal or grindcore. Not even an attempt at burpring vocals which typically aren't that bad in the music as long as the vocalist does it right, but in this case it's just random shouting that is irrelevent and does not support the musical ideals behind this release whatsoever.

Give it a good listen for the guitars. Otherwise chuck this one out the window. It's essentially worthless to metal and lacks all attempts at trying something new or to be more than mediocre like most modern day "br00thuhl" death metal as you could call it.

Blastmasters indeed. - 73%

Reaper, October 10th, 2004

I think someone mislabeled the genre. This is as far away from grind as I have ever heard. I would even hesitate to consider this Brutal Death Metal. This is straight up Death Metal with A LOT of blast beats. The blast beats are actually not as bad I, stereotypically, assumed they would be. The reason for this is that they’re not the dominating factor in the sound, but more of background noise added for melody. The blast beats are very well executed and I can’t complain about them. If they’re not using a drum machine, I am very impressed, as the drums are very fast.

The vocals are more of a shouted raspy style, but aren’t too distorted so that you can make out the lyrics from time to time. The atmosphere set by the vocals coincides with the blast beats almost perfectly. The solos within this demo are definitely a well-welcomed addition. Without the guitar solos this album would be pretty boring and repetitive, very good thinking on their part.

The demo begins with a guitar solo ranging from being distorted to high-pitched guitar shrieks and powerful blast beats. For the most part this is Brutal Death Metal with occasional solos and departures from the same melody. This definitely impresses a guy like me, who has a strong dislike towards BDM. I think the reason that this impressed me so much is due to the absent of monotonous vocals and melodies. This album definitely has something worth listening to.

The second song is more chaotic and a bit more monotonous. It also focuses more on the vocals and blast beats than the guitars, although the guitars can be heard. The vocals in this song are more raspy and forced than the previous style of shouted and raspy. Deviations such as these definitely are appreciated and are a factor in the demo’s replayability. The last track is a mix of the first two. It has rough vocals and several guitar solos. It’s chaotic and it’s not too boring, that’s a win in my book.

Most of the songs sound similar but all of them offer a brutal assault of blast beats and some excellent guitar playing from time to time. I expected some shitty second-rate Death/Grind band, but what I got was definitely worth the download. It definitely impressed me. Download this; it’s free off of their site.