© 2002-2021

Why ever did they stop? - 90%

Basilisk, March 8th, 2010

Whoa! Where has this band been hiding? With an album’s worth of songs recorded, but never a full-length album released, this compilation is as close as you’re going to get. And I recommend that you get it if you’re a fan of oldschool heavy metal.

Most of the songs, I believe, are executed by a female vocalist, but there are a few that aren’t. The songs riff along at a good pace, the melodies are original and enjoyable. If you’re looking for something you haven’t heard in the true metal vein then you can’t go wrong here. The lyrics are fun and seem to be like the kind of stuff you can sing along to. The sound quality is really good; I’m guessing it’s been remastered or something because you’d never know it was recorded in 1984, it sounds like a recent release of the kind of band that’s trying to revive the spirit of oldschool heavy metal. But Black Knight really IS oldschool heavy metal. And it’s really good.

It’s too bad Black Knight dissolved before really coming to fruition back in the 80s, because judging by what I’m hearing here on this album they could have been a force to be reckoned with. With that gritty sound that dances on the edge of rock n’ roll, Black Knight pump out a sound that is in the same ballpark as bands like Warlock and Stormwitch and even Iron Maiden. Black Knight was doing their thing around the same time as Maiden did Powerslave and if you like Maiden, there’s no reason why you won’t enjoy Black Knight.

There’s many a good song on this album, even with a ballad or two, it’s thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. This is a piece of underground heavy metal history and it’s worth it to have and to hear. Black Knight never really surfaced in the scene… I can only wonder as to what it would have been like if they had. Judging by the awesomeness of these songs, they should have been a success, but I guess you never really know.