An American underground classic. - 97%

LordBelketraya, November 13th, 2006

USA is not known for being prolific in black metal. That title goes to countries like Norway, France, Sweden and Finland. USA has a more successful history of death metal music with bands like Deicide, Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Mortician, the list goes on and on. As for black metal the US only had Von and Havohej with excellent albums prior to this one. This was the first recording I heard from Black Funeral and quite possibly the most essential one in the catalogue, 'Empire Of Blood' comes a close second. The creator Michael Ford takes his music and subject very seriously. I just love that! It shows in the product.

You hear about certain bands through recommendations by articles or word of mouth. I heard that this was something that could easily be confused with works of the LLN due to the low production and Vampiric/Satanic content. This was right up my alley and I got hold of this without hearing a note. The vocals and guitar are superb. I would say that the influences are a mixed bag of Mutiilation, Burzum and early Graveland. This is clearly one of the top 5 best American Black Metal releases for sure.

The current notable flag bearers 'Leviathan' 'Xasthur' could listen to some of this and maybe just perhaps learn a few tricks, maybe even cut their songs down to something less than 4 minutes. Anyway, this is a true underground cult classic in the vein of Moonblood that needs to get better recognition and praise. 10 years on and this has stood the test of time, if my review isn't praise enough the music itself should justify my statement. Get this if you can find it, preferably the Drakkar Production 2006 re-release with 5 bonus tracks. That one is limited to 1000 copies.