© 2002-2024

Black Cilice > A Corpse, a Temple > Reviews > NausikaDalazBlindaz
Black Cilice - A Corpse, a Temple

Sheer intense noise BM harbours hidden treasure - 80%

NausikaDalazBlindaz, September 30th, 2016

Just when I had thought that all my misspent years listening to raw black metal wind-tunnel noise could be tucked away safely in a small corner of my past, to be treasured on occasion and only brought out in the presence of insufferable company (such as you might meet at an art gallery opening or when you're invited to be part of the audience at a TV debate between two equally odious presidential or prime ministerial candidates), along comes a mysterious horde called Black Cilice with a discography and a history of being part of a super-horde network called the Black Circle that I think I need to check out. I decide to go straight for the jugular and delve into the band's first album "A Corpse, A Temple" whose title suggests very serious Satanic worship, an obsession with secret rituals that might include human sacrifice, and a desire to transcend the boundaries and limitations of the physical world and escape one's fellow (and much hated) humans hell-bent on their own destruction.

From start to finish without pause this record is sheer intense noise and aggression, but there's also plenty of deep howling sadness, a surprising amount of groove (especially in the last track) and definite riffs and melodies. The pace varies quite a lot too, mirroring changes in mood. The primitive approach adopted with regard to recording and production renders the music raw and fresh. Probably the only annoying thing Black Cilice do is mark the end of each song with short pauses as each track could pass into the next with the transition marked in changes of riffs, rhythm or dark background ambience, and so maintaining and escalating that claustrophobic, sickening tone of the album. Percussion is tinny and floppy and the tremolo guitars have a trashy sound with hellish lead guitar lines. Vocals are restricted to howls, moans, shrieks and groans and these are probably the most harrowing and unbearable aspect of Black Cilice's style.

With each passing song, the album becomes more unearthly and disorienting. One middle track "Blood to Murder" in particular has a delirious, almost frenzied mood that engulfs your head and never lets go. The tone is downbeat and energy-draining. The punishment continues with the screaming "Resurrection of Dead Curses" with guitars and drums scrabbling furiously under a hail of ghost howls and wails that just goes on and on.

Without doubt this is a really intense if rather repetitive recording, notable for the howling vocals, the raw sounds and production, and the sense of someone or something trapped beneath the barrage of noise and trying to escape. The only problem I have with the music is that all songs, once started on their particular paths, continue in the same way for their entire lengths without any progress onto another more intense level of derangement. Listening to the album can be a gruelling experience but there are gems of near-psychedelic delirium and sections of the utmost despair and desolation to be found.