© 2002-2017

Landfills Provide Better Garbage Than This Shit - 0%

EvilAllen, November 10th, 2017

Being Killed are a brutal death metal band that are currently on hold from making music, as of 2014. Good, because with this dreadful record, I can't say that I enjoy it. Not my cup of tea in the least bit. Basically, you have some extremely fast-paced brutal death metal music, which is normally fine. Well, in this case, it's not great. All the tracks are empty-headed and stubby. Perhaps I'm not being exactly fair, I guess, realistically, the band can bust out a couple of cool-sounding riffs. And yeah, that's probably at best. Thing is, their creativity is being completely wasted by having such tiny-ass tracks. Why even bother making extreme music if you're barely going to put length into them? Literally, all songs on this record are below three minutes, what the fuck is the point? With the amount of tracks the band have thrown into this album, they could have made a few full-length songs instead. Would have been a lot more enjoyable for the listener(s).

Don't expect any depth from any tracks on this record, as soon as they start showing any signs of buildup, they've literally been concluded, and that's the damn truth. I don't know anyone alive today, as I currently write this, who have a favourite song that is even less than one-minute long. And this proves my point even more, extremely short tracks do absolutely no justice in the music department at all. The people creating these songs on this record, they're wasting their time. And it's a sign of laziness, too. Their mindset is, "Why put a lot of time into one song, while I can put less effort in creating shorter tracks and get more?". The point is, this is the type of music, in the long run, that becomes forgotten. It's hard to remember a song that's like...25 seconds long, hardly a song at all. So, the only real effort that's being wasted, are the inventors, quite frankly.

The guitar work is decent, and decent at the absolute best. A lot of high-pitched shredding and low grungy, heavily distorted guitars. The audio production sounds a little out-dated by quite a few years, it's not as crisp as production can be now, I guess nine years can make a big difference, in the long run, I mean. The fucking bass sounds really soft and quiet. I hardly notice it's there. Barely surfaces throughout the whole record. If anything, the damn guitars are much too loud, even louder than the vocals entirely. Speaking of vocals, the vocals, at times, the higher-pitched vocals, they sound like they're being record within a damn garbage can. To clarify this more, it sounds like someone purchased a plastic garbage can, removed the lid, purchased and placed a decently expensive, studio microphone in the bottom center of the garbage can, then started recording those higher-toned vocals. Seriously, it has a plasticy echo to them. The drums sound like they're being played in a small bedroom with the door closed, and the drummer is too poor to afford a legit drum set, so he hand-crafted drum sticks and thumping them hard onto the mattress and using silverware as the cymbals. And what's even funnier, it sounds like the studio microphone is literally placed on the reverse side of the door instead. It sounds so muffled and phoney. Also, their lyrics are totally misguided and brainless, really. It's just a bunch of nonsense with no effort written. Anything to give the vocals purpose, I suppose. The artwork looks rather odd, it reminds me of a terrible, mainstream mallcore band, of which I won't mention the name of, since it's not worthy enough for this review.

I don't ever think I'll listen to this album again. It becomes annoying after the second time, like, a lot. All the tracks basically sound the same, it's almost impossible to tell them apart, it would seem. I might as well just stop breathing and die, at least that would be a progressive activity, rather than hearing anymore of this shit. Fuck, I enjoy Burzum's "DauĂ°i Baldrs" album a lot more than this trash, and that's saying something, considering it has a decently low rating in it's own right, which I added onto as well. It should be forbidden to ever mention or even think about recommending this dumpster to anyone, even if you hate the fucker(s). It's like playing a cruel prank on someone, just don't do it. If you ever find this record on your own, it's worth at least one listen at best, but I wouldn't expect anyone with brain in their skull to actually hunt this down and nurture this filth. I think drugs would be more enjoyable than this, and I really dislike any drugs, honestly. If no one remembers this album in twenty years, then people sure did something right. And that was to forget that this nightmare even came to life in the first place. Next time you have a bonfire, soak this is gasoline and light that shit up, throw dry logs onto the flaming disc and deny that this album ever existed.

Hey, Hank, did you remember the relish this time? - 60%

autothrall, October 21st, 2013

As I was picking through some gory stuff to cover this October, I admit to selecting Massacre of the Living because the cover was so similar to Chainsaw Dissection's Zombie Decimation, another disc I wanted to revisit. Sure enough, this is also a Mike Hrubovcak piece, and nearly the same, with a female victim about to be overcome by ravenous undead; only here she's got most of her clothes on (sans the nip slippage) and she's been taken in an alley as opposed to a graveyard. Admittedly, I found this a bit more colorful than Zombie Decimation, and wouldn't you know it...so is the music itself. Though it's marginally comparable in style, thanks to the drum programming, this benefits from a cleaner and more clinical production sensibility that helps the riffs shine through.

And there ARE riffs, aplenty, over the 20 tracks in 23 minutes. Some of them are even pretty goddamn good, if not unique. I've seen several comparisons of this to Mortician, but I have to think those are based solely on the lyrical subject matter, use of drum machine, samples and the brief length of the average track. In reality, Being Killed is quite different. The songwriting is centered heavily on the rhythm guitars and doesn't use the oozing bass line technique (circa Will Rahmer). Also, the riffs here aren't nearly as barbaric...in place of the bludgeoning, drudging dichotomy you find in the New Yorkers, these Californians are more meticulous in how they construct guitar progressions. Not incredibly technical, no, but the punchy palm-muting and use of tremolo riffs is far more redolent of Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation and Deicide than the deathgrinding side of the equation. In fact, the only 'grind' aesthetic here is the short duration of the tunes. Other than that, this is Sevared-class brutal death through and through; the band just seem to wanna get it over with, light fuse and run away from the zombie horde chasing them.

Which is honestly a pity, because even where a song has some decent ideas it's finished in a flash and I came away dissatisfied. I mean, it's great that I could listen to this entirely on a subway ride or a morning jog, but I would have preferred the 23 minutes be devoted to 4-5 songs of substance. Being Killed could do a pretty good 'Corpse, Severe Torture or Severed Savior if they took their time with it, but most of the tunes that are 90 seconds or under here have barely begun before they're over, so only the lengthier 2 minute tracks like "Collapsing Society" and "Brushstrokes in Blood" have a chance to stand out. That's not to say that Massacre of the Living lacks some variety, because they'll experiment with some different riffing techniques and tempos, which only gets you so far in a 50 second song. Basically, the conciseness, which is often a boon to certain grindcore efforts, is a detriment to what otherwise might be a solid death metal records, and the primary reason that success eludes this debut. They did, however, release another record the same year (2008) through Comatose which had fewer and longer tunes, so apparently they learned their lesson quickly, or perhaps it was the idea all along to try their hands at both approaches...

Either way, Massacre of the Living gets few complaints in the production department. The drum machine is rather loud and brickwalled like a lot of modern brutal/tech death outings, but beyond that the levels are fairly balanced. Rhythm guitars are thin, punchy and effectively clear, not that they perform anything truly complex or bewildering that would be difficult to follow, but I enjoy the ability to feel out the riffing progressions and Being Killed does not deny me that pleasure. Bass is almost always a backdrop thing, you can hear a few distorted lines where they're left thrumming on their own (like in "Skull Matter") but by and large they are used to give the riffs more breadth and impact. Vocalist Dave Astor (who drums in Pathology) has a fairly stock guttural that occasionally takes on a fraction of the toilet bowl flush texture you expect in some of the genre's most ridiculous acts; it's not loud or particularly gruesome, but it does serve as a decent contrast to the brighter drumming and guitar tone. I liked the ambient bits that bookended the first and last cut, they definitely have that apocalyptic 80s vibe...the Ghostbusters sample in "Global Shutdown" might seem a little obvious though.

If you're more interested in Being Killed's ability to construct a proper song, then I'd advise you check out that other album Kill Yourself instead. The production is a little grainier than this, but they better fill out their potential on those tunes. Massacre of the Living sounds a little slicker, and has a half dozen killer riffs that secured my attention, but its ultimately annoying that most of the songs can't really generate any momentum for themselves before they're gone. It also affects the lyrics, which are, as you can imagine, short, lacking a lot of effort and rarely going anywhere. Some groups can pull off such ditties, but it's no longer a humorous thing in my book. Maybe when Sore Throat and Napalm Death did it, but I don't even get a rise out of "Hang the Pope" these days. I like death metal best when it immerses me in a torture chamber and then turns me to pulp with a number of devices. Half of Massacre of the Living is like getting a series of insignificant paper cuts, even if it's ultimately not a major commitment just to sit through the entire experience.

-autothrall

Massacre of the Living - 5%

dyingseraph84, July 12th, 2011

Being Killed are part of a new breed of death/grind bands coming out of the USA, they are an extremely generic and very tiring group. I couldn't make it through this disc, it's just too mundane and plain sounding. It also doesn't help that every song starts off exactly the same and contains no cohesion what so ever. The drum machine is especially fucking bad, whoever programmed this has no imagination and it sounds awful.

So essentially what we have here is a lazy attempt to recreate Mortician's sound. There is only one problem, Mortician actually has riffs and at one time had a good atmosphere in their songs. Every song blasts for about a minute and plays a generic slam riff or chugging riff before closing with a blast. The vocals are atrocious, just generic death grunts that sound processed, no emotion at all in this guys performance.

The lyrics are retarded (I don't like using that word but it describes this perfectly) just mediocre gore lyrics that were probably written in a matter of minutes before the vocal recording. There are way better bands that do the death/grind style so much better take Embalming Theatre and General Surgery for example.

There is really no point to this, so what it's brutal but does that make it good? These guys are also in a band named Pathology, and going from what I have heard I am not impressed with them either. I guess what I am getting at here is if all you care about is brutality then you will enjoy this. If your like me and care about songwriting and quality then this will make a good paper weight, dog toy, or door stop.

The only good thing to come from this is the artwork is pretty cool, that's it. I can't really recommend this to anyone, except people who need a real real quick death/grind fix before the new Haemorrhage comes out.