© 2002-2017

A Much Greater Attempt This Time - 85%

EvilAllen, November 10th, 2017

Being Killed released an extremely shitty record, during the same year, in 2008. But this time, it's something I would have hoped for. This entitled release "Kill Yourself" is very worthy of a positive review. They managed to submit some lengthy brutal death metal tracks, with that being done, listeners can finally enjoy the madness. Now, with longer tracks, we finally get in-depth musical construction. Not like before, no laziness detected within this release.

Seems this time around, the band have a greater audio fabrication, funny how that works since it was released the same year as their previous release. I suppose it takes more dedication to make production last for many years before sounding out-dated. So much more has improved in quality, better mixing and mastering as well. It's almost...beautiful, really. I'm glad, and I'm sure the band are glad they accomplished something of this creation. Really nice clarity, too.

Guitars are just as quick-and-swift as the album's counterpart, but just better, a lot better at that. I think the distortion level of the guitars have increased more since the last time as well. It sounds like a high voltage stream of electricity are flowing inside the guitar strings themselves. A lot of calculating, rapid-paced-riffing being outputted here. A lot of low-pitched shredding and on-key finger placement. The guitars are very, very thick and brutal. You could dismember a fully grown tree with the waves of the riffs themselves.

The bass work even sounds like an improvement. You can really hear the bass and feel it's companionship throughout the entire thirty-minute adventure. If this was cranked outside, in the backyard, on a one-hundred watt speaker, it be enough to mentally disturb a small, friendly neighbourhood. Place your beer on the speaker while it's maxed out and see it endlessly vibrate. Even booms like thunder, that's several miles away from your home, but louder!

The drums don't sound lame, the placements and elements are there. They even sound more crisp and clearer than before, too. The drums are constantly filling in empty gaps that would have seemed too bare without them. The drums sound quite technical and creative. Hell, there's enough drums being played on this record to provide for a couple doom metal albums, if one would really want to. Better balance for mixing and mastering of the drums as well. Clarity is always something to be considered when it comes to drums, this time, the band did well at that. Well-constructed bashing. Love the snare and bass kicks the most, it's like picturing someone's hands are on fire while playing drums!

The band features some little amounts of ambience in their music, which is quite a nice display. They seemed to have added onto their musical depth and started becoming more creative and original than they did before, which is a sign of maturing, though, again, this was released during the same year, but still. Fantastic ambience and sound effects, even the production is clear and smooth.

Vocal style and pitch are about the exact same, but at least the placements are better and don't sound like a lot of senseless gurgling, like last time. The only vocal style you hear are the really low-pitched, massively distorted growls of insanity. I can easily say I enjoy that a lot more this round than the previous attempt, which sounded like utter failure. Reminds me of a pig trying to speak English or something?

The lyrics actually make fucking sense this time, too. A drastic difference from before. Really wordy, too. Whatever stories they're trying to suggest and tell to listeners, it at least makes more sense and doesn't sound like nonsense. It would be fine material for a...more graphic R.L. Stine Goosebump Book or something from like, 1992, I think? The lyrics are engaging enough to want to read and stay interested in reading what the vocalist is trying to say.

Fucking think the artwork is killer shit. It seriously reminds me of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Friday the 13th" film. Even something else, possibly from George Romero. The artist was well-detailed in this piece of art. Well-painted and very accurate. Takes many years to become that good as a visual artist.

I would suggest this to a fan of brutal death metal, if they didn't know about the band or this release of course. I don't normally listen to three-worded genres, this being an example, but I'm willing to give it a shot more often than not. I know these guys are supposed to be brutal death metal, but as of right now, I prefer calling them regular death metal. Not like it makes a difference or anything, brutal death metal is just a subgenre of the primary genre anyways, so my statement wouldn't be inaccurate for suggesting my opinion and thoughts regarding the subject. A great release. Something I would spend time searching for and to purchase sometime.