© 2002-2017

A Much Greater Attempt This Time - 85%

EvilAllen, November 10th, 2017

Being Killed released an extremely shitty record, during the same year, in 2008. But this time, it's something I would have hoped for. This entitled release "Kill Yourself" is very worthy of a positive review. They managed to submit some lengthy brutal death metal tracks, with that being done, listeners can finally enjoy the madness. Now, with longer tracks, we finally get in-depth musical construction. Not like before, no laziness detected within this release.

Seems this time around, the band have a greater audio fabrication, funny how that works since it was released the same year as their previous release. I suppose it takes more dedication to make production last for many years before sounding out-dated. So much more has improved in quality, better mixing and mastering as well. It's almost...beautiful, really. I'm glad, and I'm sure the band are glad they accomplished something of this creation. Really nice clarity, too.

Guitars are just as quick-and-swift as the album's counterpart, but just better, a lot better at that. I think the distortion level of the guitars have increased more since the last time as well. It sounds like a high voltage stream of electricity are flowing inside the guitar strings themselves. A lot of calculating, rapid-paced-riffing being outputted here. A lot of low-pitched shredding and on-key finger placement. The guitars are very, very thick and brutal. You could dismember a fully grown tree with the waves of the riffs themselves.

The bass work even sounds like an improvement. You can really hear the bass and feel it's companionship throughout the entire thirty-minute adventure. If this was cranked outside, in the backyard, on a one-hundred watt speaker, it be enough to mentally disturb a small, friendly neighbourhood. Place your beer on the speaker while it's maxed out and see it endlessly vibrate. Even booms like thunder, that's several miles away from your home, but louder!

The drums don't sound lame, the placements and elements are there. They even sound more crisp and clearer than before, too. The drums are constantly filling in empty gaps that would have seemed too bare without them. The drums sound quite technical and creative. Hell, there's enough drums being played on this record to provide for a couple doom metal albums, if one would really want to. Better balance for mixing and mastering of the drums as well. Clarity is always something to be considered when it comes to drums, this time, the band did well at that. Well-constructed bashing. Love the snare and bass kicks the most, it's like picturing someone's hands are on fire while playing drums!

The band features some little amounts of ambience in their music, which is quite a nice display. They seemed to have added onto their musical depth and started becoming more creative and original than they did before, which is a sign of maturing, though, again, this was released during the same year, but still. Fantastic ambience and sound effects, even the production is clear and smooth.

Vocal style and pitch are about the exact same, but at least the placements are better and don't sound like a lot of senseless gurgling, like last time. The only vocal style you hear are the really low-pitched, massively distorted growls of insanity. I can easily say I enjoy that a lot more this round than the previous attempt, which sounded like utter failure. Reminds me of a pig trying to speak English or something?

The lyrics actually make fucking sense this time, too. A drastic difference from before. Really wordy, too. Whatever stories they're trying to suggest and tell to listeners, it at least makes more sense and doesn't sound like nonsense. It would be fine material for a...more graphic R.L. Stine Goosebump Book or something from like, 1992, I think? The lyrics are engaging enough to want to read and stay interested in reading what the vocalist is trying to say.

Fucking think the artwork is killer shit. It seriously reminds me of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or "Friday the 13th" film. Even something else, possibly from George Romero. The artist was well-detailed in this piece of art. Well-painted and very accurate. Takes many years to become that good as a visual artist.

I would suggest this to a fan of brutal death metal, if they didn't know about the band or this release of course. I don't normally listen to three-worded genres, this being an example, but I'm willing to give it a shot more often than not. I know these guys are supposed to be brutal death metal, but as of right now, I prefer calling them regular death metal. Not like it makes a difference or anything, brutal death metal is just a subgenre of the primary genre anyways, so my statement wouldn't be inaccurate for suggesting my opinion and thoughts regarding the subject. A great release. Something I would spend time searching for and to purchase sometime.

Quick and punchy like a boxer midget - 79%

Noktorn, June 28th, 2010

A brutal death band with two albums released in the same year, one on Sevared and one on Comatose? Could this be the poorly played tech slam we've been dreaming of? Actually, no, though it is quite neat in other ways: Being Killed appears to be a side project of Pathology, and it's unsurprising that this project reflects many of the same musical qualities as its parent. Being Killed is in essence a more oldschool, less sheerly grinding and technical spin on Pathology. It would not be unwise to consider Being Killed a sort of modern brutal death spin on the Razorback sound, albeit with a sense of melody much more genuinely menacing and brutal than anything from the Lord Gore school. Infusing such brutal music with such a definite memorability works wonders to extend its replay value, making 'Kill Yourself' a release that both batters the listener upon first play and endures long after.

The bulk of Being Killed's music is made up of contrasting blast sections and slower, more dramatic grooves in the minimal style of Mortician or Autopsy. The riffing, of course, is far more technical than either of those bands, borrowing heavily from newer Cannibal Corpse in its fiendish tremolo or Pathology's own snapping, buzzing spin on the Malignancy sound for the more technical passages. A drum machine is employed but so well mixed and programmed that it is essentially indistinguishable from the real thing; the random sampling and velocity mapping is impeccable, and if one didn't know, the drummer would be praised for his impeccable timing and solid beat construction. The solid if seemingly self-done production is heavy and full, with just a hint of amateur cloudiness that actually works quite well with the rather rigid and mechanical nature of the playing.

If you took the better riffs from the Razorback catalog and made them more definitely lurking and ominous, the result would be the guitarwork on 'Kill Yourself'. Fast, precise, and catchy, the riffs are definitely derived from older death metal as much as newer, more technical work, with the melodies of the former contrasting with the playing of the latter. Despite the programmed drums and modern aesthetic, the vibe of this album is distinctly oldschool without descending into self-parody. The album is short and punchy at a half hour, and I think that's perfect for this style: Being Killed gets in and out of your ear quickly, wasting no time with excessive repetition or weak ideas. Every track on the album is strong, and there's none of the indecisiveness or overly basic song construction that tends to plague project-style bands. While the music is not remarkable, it shows an enthusiasm and confidence far beyond that of its siblings in the brutal death scene.

Being Killed hardly reinvents the wheel with this album, but it is a pleasant surprise and a great theoretical spin on the Razorback 'happy' sound. I would throw this alongside a band like Splatterhouse which reclaims the retro style and uses it to further its own goals rather than engage in mindless worship of other artists- I can only hope that more bands of a similar vein follow suit. 'Kill Yourself' is a strong early entry in Being Killed's catalog, and I hope that more material of the same caliber follows.