© 2002-2017

The Oath of Black Blood - 40%

Sharkbait, May 11th, 2008

I first heard this album almost two years ago. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. I thought that I wasn't used to a sound like this, which is why I thought is was terrible. Over the two years, I've listened to more raw bands, and actually I prefer metal with a low-quality sound. But still, I can not sit through this album. I don't know why it is so essential in the black metal scene. There's nothing special about it. It's actually annoying to listen to.
I've been told that the only thing bad about this recording is its sound quality...I have to agree and disagree with that. The first seven tracks are on the border line of decent and shit, a very typical war metal sound. The last four tracks have a higher quality, but they're still not great. The vocals are horrible. They sound like he's choking or he's trying to bring up some phlegm in parts. Sometimes the vocals even sound like a growly whisper, like he doesn't give a shit. The only good thing I can say about this album is the guitar. It is decent for the most part. They vary with speed and sound throughout. It is thrashy at times. The drums don't seem to change much at all, a solid blast beat in other words. The highlight of this album has to be when Dawn of Satans millennium fades out, and when you know that it's over.

If you're interested in checking out Beherit, I don't recommend you start with this one. Start with Drawing Down the Moon.