Through Hell and back... - 97%

TheMeh, March 19th, 2015
Written based on this version: 2014, CD, Nuclear Blast

Back in 2014, I had felt a sense of experimentation in my music. As far as I remember, back in 2014 I still clung a little bit to metalcore, if that even matters. Ties ended up being severed sooner or later, but the times in the early portion of the year needed satiation. Musical resolve runs dry after a while, and if you can't find something to... basically GORGE YOURSELF with... you're basically screwed. And then... a light shined through. A malevolent light. "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel".

I gotta admit, when I first heard the song, I was skeptical. I used to be one of those people that wasn't ever ideally in a liking favor of music that involved the likes of Satan. But as I said, 2014 was a year of experimentation. I had already grown to become a skeptic of the likes of religion. Sometimes you need a change. So I chose to listen to "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel". Now, note, this may as well have been my first Behemoth album. I went off of a previous review (a good review) and news on the album for knowledge on the song. And I took a chance.

Oh man, I don't think I can look back from that. "Blow Your Trumpets Gabriel" gives you that opening to build suspense, to prepare you for the utter bombardment and devastation this album holds. It only gives you so long until the drums and guitars pick up and you're blasted down to the pits of Hell, and shows you the utter fury the album offers. The songs past that are pretty good, though. If I were to pick select ones out of the first 6, I'd have to pick "Messe Noire", "Amen" and "The Satanist". All three of those have the perfect pacing for the song, good use of drums and guitars, and pretty spot-on Nergal vocals.

The album past that felt a bit... okay. It's been pretty good so far, but it almost feels like there's a slight (and I say: VERY SLIGHT) drop-off past "The Satanist"... then... the album quite literally feels as if it comes full circle. The best track somehow is the last track. "O Father, O Satan, O Sun!".

Now, as far as I know, this site is against "track-by-track" reviews, but c'mon: this song just deserves a paragraph. The minute-and-10-seconds you get before the song kicks into gears is all you need to prepare for it. This is the song the album was TRULY building up to. This song feels as if it's the embodiment of all the time Behemoth had spent creating this album, and the utter onslaught of sonic devastation. The song quite literally deserves a spot on a metal throne. The end quote is also what I see as the best closer of an album yet.

What else is there for me to say? Throughout 2014, The Satanist stuck with me. Why? It always felt new. It always felt replayable. You know an album is great when you actually WANT to replay the entirety of it. Most bands aim for replayability factor without trying, and that isn't always good. But The Satanist is that special ace in the hole. The Satanist is... just the greatest album from Behemoth this decade.

My best advice is to go into this album without any expectations. Quite frankly, you'd be better off. The Satanist, at the end of the day, sets itself at a high pedestal. You, dear listener... will be pleased by what you hear.

Behemoth is back. And they're willing to take the unholy throne back with this album.