Behemoth at their very best - 100%

grind_vengeance, May 18th, 2007

When I found this album, I almost shat my drawers - I had been looking for it for weeks. I decided that I had to set the mood to let it sink in completely, so I got myself a nice pot pie, sat down in my room, and turned the volume on my stereo to "ear fuck."

When I first heard the intro, I thought, "okay, this sounds like an intro." It transitioned brilliantly into the first track, which was just the tip of the brutal, jagged, bloody iceberg that is Behemoth's 'The Apostasy.' On 'Demigod', the intro is fantastic - too fantastic - so it was a bit of a letdown when the actual first track began. I immediately jumped with joy when I heard the noticably less triggered-sounding drums - the snare drum sounds like a snare drum, instead of a digital representation of one.

The next thing I noticed was that the vocals are not as excessively overlayered as they were on 'Demigod.' Though I'm a big fan of vocal layering (I listen to Vital Remains), I found it kind of unnecessary that every single word of every single song was layered 48 times. Layering is for emphasis, and when it's used constantly, it's just cheesy. That being said, the layering on 'The Apostasy,' is used for just that - emphasis - and is used just the right amount. One Nergal alone is terrifying - when the other 47 Nergals come in just for a second, it scares the living shit out of you enough to keep you very, very excited.

The guitar sound is very sharp and lucid, without being overly clean - just as the guitar on a death metal album SHOULD sound. I was EXTREMELY impressed by the riffing on this album - it didn't seem beaten or repetitive at all, and the signature Behemoth chord progression was altered and fucked with enough on each track that they all stood out in their own way. I don't remember being bored or disinterested for a single second of this album.

The only problem I had with the album, which is more of a problem with death metal as a whole, is that the bass is practically inaudible. It simply serves as backing for the guitar riffs. I can't take points off of this particular album for that, however, because as I said, that's more of a problem with death/black/blackened death metal as a genre.

Essentially, if you listen to this album, you will shit your pants an average of 591.3 times, so once you get a hold of it, grab some really sturdy grown-up pampers and take a seat on the floor, because cleaning that chair is going to be a hell of a task.

I can confidently say that this is Behemoth's very best yet - it runs huge, flaming circles around their entire catalogue.