© 2002-2021

My Way To The Star... - 90%

IxI_KILLING, December 18th, 2014

Let’s just admit it, we live in a world where imitating the previous generation is something that has to be done if we wish to find our way in this world. We live, copy, find our true selves and make our own concrete path through a jungle that is filled with wicked beings, wanting nothing more than to destroy that spectacle you may be becoming. The same goes for musical acts in today’s world. It’s a game of cat and mouse. The newer bands are trying to achieve a different level of creativity but before they do that, imitation has to be, in some form or another, a part of who they are. One of the front runners in that boat that is soon to take off is Begerith.

While many have said that what these gentlemen are doing is a clear cut copy-and-paste version of Behemoth, I have to say they are wrong to an extent. Begerith sounds like Begerith with a hint of Behemoth. It’s all comes back to the imitation part of the influence. You will hear it in any record you put on, it’s that simple. Now, that my rant about the above subject is over, let’s get down the dirt and grim that is “My Way to the Star…”.

After getting my hands on the record, I was very determined to think of Begerith as themselves. No bullshit, no imitation and no borders. I just let my mind think free to the point that they were a blank canvas and it worked better than I originally thought. As I pushed play on my Winamp player, the opening track, “Star Guiding Light”, began with devastation. I could feel the cult like chants, top heavy drum tempo and horns that consumed my soul, gripping it so tight that my heart could barely move. When things like this happen, when you let a record literally take control of who you are, the results are endless.

Knowing that the whole record might not be this way, I decided to pull myself back a little bit. With a small barrier in front of me, I held strong while the remaining 30+ minutes of “My Way to the Star…” played from front to back. Giving me whiplash, tossing my body from side to side as if I was in a semi-truck that just exploded, I couldn’t of been more pleased with what my ears were hearing. From the low-end fret tapping to the super low crushing bass lines in “7th Triangle”, these demigods are very pleasing to the ears, at least mine.

“My Way To The Star…” is exactly the record you need, deserve and have waiting for. It’s the best of all the worlds combined. The fact that blackened death metal has sort of lost it’s way, at least to me, in the last couple of years, I’m very pleased to see a band that is not scared to imitate what they see is the best out right now. According to me though, Begerith and this record has surpassed my tiny love for Behemoth by a landslide.

Originally posted at Hellfire Reviews

Nergal called... - 70%

Diamhea, October 6th, 2014
Written based on this version: 2013, CD, Molot Records

Begerith has to be one of the more shameless cases of stylistic emulation I have come across. It should come as no surprise that these Russians draw a great swath of influence from Behemoth, and through that they essentially copy-and-paste the same basic template with little active concern regarding the integration of their own unique voice and qualities. Similar cases abound, sure, and Behemoth is a modern metal institution in and of itself, but I do have to tip my hat to these guys for a spot-on recreation of that which they idolize. For obvious reasons, there isn't a whole lot to say here lest I reiterate common knowledge, but My Way to the Star... cooks at a commendable temperature and will satiate more than just a few outlier Nergal advocates.

Make no bones about it, Begerith sounds exactly like the end result of a fusion between Demigod and The Apostasy, augmented by just enough Stygian magic to give the entire ordeal something of a more occult slant. Although Behemoth themselves have clearly boasted all of these qualities during at least one juncture in the past, they began to streamline their approach after Thelema.6 and by in large lost much of the blackened appeal that made outings like Pandemonic Incantations such grand listens. So while Begerith clearly shares familial deficiencies across the board, they do pull most of it off moderately well.

As such, this is lurching, piston-charged death metal sharing in much of the sterile, cast-in-stone sonic attributes of The Apostasy. "The Reunion of Stars Katarus" cocks back and lets loose a volley of parched grooves and exotic lead patterns, and "My Visions of Transcendent Mind" makes you taste the barren soil through a flurry of monolithic low-end fret snappers. The lack of an Inferno behind the drum kit actually forces Begerith to improvise and assume more of a lugubrious, white-knuckled tempo not far removed from what made "At the Left Hand ov God" such a standout. I can do without some of the more flagrant, transparent finger tapping, but the supple and exaggerated pinch harmonics always sound fresh in these environs. Bushuev's death grunts are unspectacular, but are delivered with smoother phrasing that espouses less of the choppy, jagged nature traditionally associated with the framework.

The production values are higher than probably deserved, and My Way to the Star... is a very compact and user-friendly listen on the whole for fans of the style. The orchestrations add a nice yin/yang aesthetic that helps to keep the scope as massive as the subject matter deserves, and much of this crackles with a vibrancy at least worthy of a cursory glance. I by no means bestow upon these guys anything above a solid grade due to the nigh-total ejection of originality, but this fills a void and flattens much of the competition. Recommended for fans of the obvious, Nile, Vesania, etc.