© 2002-2021

Be Persecuted. - 85%

Perplexed_Sjel, December 24th, 2006

I'll be honest, my knowledge of the Chinese Black Metal scene isn't that great, so when i came across Be Persecuted i didn't have many expectations. I was surprised when i came to realise that they're in fact signed to No Colours Records, a record label that has provided me with a lot of decent music down the years. Formed in the year 2005, Be Persecuted are a three man band consisting of Zhao, Tan and Wu respectively. To date they have only released one self-titled demo which consists of six tracks, lasting approximately 28 minutes and 30 seconds.

As i was saying, i had no real expectations or hopes that Be Persecuted would be anything more than your standard basement Black Metal band with no hope of ever becoming anything decent and to rival that of what the West has provided over recent years but, to my surprise Be Persecuted are a band i have been searching for, for a very long time now. Filled to the brim with emotion, innovative music and a hard-hitting style of Black Metal, this simply blew me away. A simply amazing band is what i've fortunately managed to come across and thankfully did not dismiss entirely. I offer my greatest apologises to the bands members as they have gained my respect through their stylish and depressing style of Black Metal.

As for the music itself, it's depressive, melancholic and nihilistic. Packed with hatred, an aggressive style and simply awesome innovative melodic riffs, this is an underground classic. Since i picked up this release, i simply haven't been able to stop recommending it to fellow Black Metal listeners. The vocals depict the lyrical themes completely and truly. They're your standard Black Metal wails full of hatred and suffering. The riffs are often repetitive, aggressive and medium-face paced with the inclusion of some beautiful acoustic parts. The drums are generally quite fast, often including blast beats, they're also varied which prevents the listener from becoming bored with the music. Production can often be quite static, and then clean at other points. The distortion of the guitars is what leads to this element, however it does not deter the listener.

Be Persecuted are without a doubt the biggest surprise of the year and the most welcomed surprised of the year. With the news that a debut full-length is to be issued shortly, one cannot help but feel extremely excited about this prospect. Along with the new Nyktalgia, this will be by far one of the most anticipated releases in my life as a Metal fan.

Highlights include: Suicide Forest, Be Resented For Livelihood and Some How.