© 2002-2017

I am a man and I hold in my hand my fate - 100%

DreshZone777, May 12th, 2017

Bathory was not the coolest band in 1991. In fact, to be honest, poor sales and a metal community that was infatuated with other styles, left in the scene one of the best formations of all time. Reason? Many. But above all, the success of Metallica and that of Nirvana overshadowed everything. It seemed like it didn't give a damn what you edited that year if you weren't James "Fucking" Hetfield or Kurt "Fucked" Cobain. And Quorthon, poor fellow, had to yield ground to those bands. Still a master, but a master!

Quorthon opened the doors, others came in later. This album is simply put classic. Yeah, there's a few bands that are influenced by Quorthon and say that Bathory is the band that they sound like most, but other than Falkenbach and maybe a few others, NOBODY can pull it off like Quorthon. His viking metal trademark is one-and-only, and can't be recreated to this extent of brilliance. I also think the variety in the riffs is the best in this album. The title track is a great song and one of my all time favorites.

The opener “Twilight of the Gods” is a great song with a great acoustic intro. Leads very well into heavy part of it, which is epic, exciting, and downright glorious. Definitely one of the most quintessential viking metal songs ever. "Blood And Iron" is a 'medieval' thematic that many metal band has to have, and this one is right up there with Blind Guardian's epics. Awesome semi-distorted acoustic intro leading into a nice and long song with an awesome rhythm. “Bond Of Blood” starts off with some sounds that seem to be coming from a viking village, and leads into chorus with a heavy guitar tone. Then comes the heaviest part, the riff after this part is an absolutely skull-crushing riff that is extremely catchy. It's pretty much repeated throughout the whole song adding heaviness. It's fair to say this is the most solid song here.

This album has a high-quality stuff that offers some acoustic sections and Quorthon talking/singing to Norse gods. With nice drums intro, harmonic chorus and an impeccable guitar work with heavy, catchy and pounding rhythm, and awesome soloing. The only little problem with some songs is that they seem to drag on the same idea for too long, which Quorthon obviously improved upon in his later albums. And is why many liked Nordland I and Blood On Ice more than this album. Meanwhile, I think the two Nordland releases are a realization of this type of music, is by far the better sequel for Quorthon to take. They took this album's idea further with the addition of even more layered guitars and there are more layers besides that aren't guitars. I think Quorthon said he'd like to move away from guitars altogether, but that's not really possible. If so, I'm sure my true metal instincts would have something to say. But, as a wise man once said, if it rocks, it rocks.

At first, I didn't like Quorthon's voice change, which was noticed in the previous album. After many years, I learned to enjoy the album as for what is, and I loved it. Bathory. One of the most sensible viking metal acts ever, a consistent, innovative and brutal act that seems to bring all the right qualities of good viking metal together. This album being Bathory's finest. Without any doubt, Quorthon has created a viking metal masterpiece and has engraved his name among the great metal pioneers in history, and this album is a proof of that.