© 2002-2021

Singing the Wolverine blues - 80%

EyesOfGlass, June 22nd, 2014
Written based on this version: 2011, Digital, Don't Pay Music

Avernal are like the Argentine Entombed: The band was formed back in 1993, when most of the bands that gave birth to our extreme local scene had already disbanded or relocated to other countries in search of a brighter future. By that time, Avernal released two albums of pure old-school death metal, “Avernal” and “No Hope”, combining lyrics in Spanish and English. The changes arrived with their third delivery, titled “Ill”, which followed the teachings in death ‘n roll of Entombed, becoming the first metal band to play said subgenre in our country. 2011 saw the release of their fifth full-length, “Réquiem para los Rebeldes/Necrología Parte 1”, the first part of what seems to be a concept album about the Argentine rebellious history throughout the last century… or at least that’s what I understood.

There’s not much to say about this album actually. What do I mean by this? No, the album is not bad, boring or uncreative. What I mean is that the album only features six songs which in addition to the simplistic (again, not in a disrespectful way) approach of the music, we get an album that doesn’t offer a lot of things that can be analyzed in detail, which by no means implies that it is less interesting than something more complex. The songs are basically built up of rock elements (simple song structures based on power chords, common drum patterns/fills) fused with metal aspects such as down-tuned guitars and Christian's harsh voice; an entertaining formula to catch our attention throughout the album. Most of the songs within it are mid-paced, with a lot of emphasis on the groove and the rock attitude rather than the death metal side, though we do get some fast-paced moments, including diverse influences, like "Huacalera" which is driven by a Slayer-like riff, more rocker cuts like "La Espada Sin Cabeza", the epic tinges of "Solo Ante La Muerte" or the thrashy "1955" and its tiny death metal vibe.

Judging by the name of the album, I guess that there will be a second part to this “Réquiem para los Rebeldes”. If it follows the stylistic line that is present here I guess that we won’t be let down. However, I’d like to see more diverse compositions if it will also feature 5+ minutes long songs, as songs of that length give the band a proper and comfortable amount of time to include more riffs, or to experiment with the song structures without venturing too far away from the death ‘n roll sound that they want to accomplish.

Originally submitted to http://theforlornson.wordpress.com/