Distinctly French - 79%

dystopia4, December 21st, 2018

Autarcie’s Seqvania isn’t anything revolutionary (although I’m sure the French Revolution has graced their lyrics), but they run a wide enough mix of the black metal spectrum to pique my interest. With a fairly raw and very French mix of bouncy riffs, punky drumming, folky leanings and the occasional killer melody, Autracie are no one-trick ponies.

History and nature are two things central to Autracie’s identity. If one thing is clear from interviews, Nokturn fucking *despises* the urban environment. Not in like *the city gets too busy for me and I like to escape for a weekend hike once or twice a month sort of way* but more *I fucking hate that I have to live in the city for work and I’m constantly seething with rage that I can’t live the life I want in the country*. He has a place he can escape to in rural France for a week or two a year and this is where most of his music is composed. Many of his soaring tremolo lines do seem to evoke images of a vast countryside. Even though I don’t speak French and therefore don’t understand the lyrics, there’s just something about the longing atmosphere that bleeds history.

For the nuts and bolts of the music, there’s a lot going on but Nokturn maintains a reasonably cohesive vision. This is a fairly raw recording, which helps balance out his more folky and melodic leanings. If anything, I wish there were even more melodic parts. There’s often melodic undertones to the winding trem riffs, but a big reason why the title track is the album standout is he brings melodic guitar to the forefront. The album is full of bouncier riffs, which help give Seqvania a fun side. Nokturn’s groggy croaks go well with the raw production. The drumming is a highlight, with Skogsvandrer laying down a lot of fun punky beats and keeping the rhythm interesting with his hi-hat/cymbal work.

It’s usually really cool when black metal bands let the history and landscapes of their region seep into the music. There is something undeniably French about Seqvania. The first point of comparison that immediately jumped to mind was their fellow Frenchmen Peste Noire (the earlier stuff, specifically). There’s something missing that really stops this from going from good to truly great. All the disparate parts are perhaps not weaved together as well as they could be. I also feel the album is just begging for more overt melody. Either way, Seqvanis is definitely a good album and it’s worth checking out it if it seems like the sort of thing that would be up your alley.