© 2002-2020

A Turning Point in Metal - 100%

BuriedInside, October 13th, 2009

I've heard a lot of people complain about how metal has become stagnant and overcrowded with the same pointless, wanky, technical drivel that comes out year after year trying to convince the listener that all that is needed make a good song is a good sweeping section and frequent time signature changes.

Atheist was the precursor to all this nonsense, but like most early metal (in my opinion) it was misunderstood by those who took influence from it. Unquestionable Presence is technical in all the right ways, but none of the superfluous nonsense is present here. The album is full of unique, technical riffing, but it builds a much larger picture where many modern bands fail to do so.

Sharp witted, heavy, jazzy, and cosmically and environmentally aware, Unquestionable Presence's furious and complex jazzy compositions may have started technical death metal off at its peak. This album absolutely destroys in every way, and has become quite possibly my favorite album ever made. It's original framework leaves plenty of room and time for this album to touch on each and every heartstring an album needs to in order to be effective, and does so fluently, and unforced. Atheist fuse the death metal and jazz influences perfectly, whether its a frenzied build up with just the right amount of jazz to keep it fresh, or a relaxing passage that gives you just enough time to exhale before it punches you in the gut again. The production is relatively clear for an early nineties release, and every member does their part admirably and tastefully. I recommend this album to anyone who has ears.