© 2002-2020

Blinded by fear: 2018 Edition! - 80%

bossome_, April 29th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2018, Digital, Century Media Records

The first single released from their new album, from which this is the title track, "To Drink From The Night Itself" marks the return of At The Gates! Not nearly as long as a wait than what we've endured previously, but a wait nonetheless!

The intro/chorus riff is quite similar to "Blinded By Fear," off of their seminal release, "Slaughter of The Soul." I wouldn't call it a complete rip-off, but it's eerily close. Still, very catchy and very heavy (much like Blinded By Fear). I'm especially fond of the riff that's directly after that, which kicks in firstly at 25 seconds; extremely chunky. There's a nice little drum solo at a minute and 30 seconds, which provides for a nice transition. The slower, double bass drum beat during the outro is a good rhythm change-up, and a fine way to wrap up the song. I would have welcomed a guitar solo, but the song doesn't suffer hugely without one. I feel the production could be improved, as it sounds much too roomy. Not quite the punch I expect, production-wise, from a legendary band like ATG. I haven't been able to find any official lyrics, so I think we'll have to wait for the album release to see what's to offer on that front. Overall, a very straightforward, but solid, song. Nothing groundbreaking, nor mundane. I hope to see a bit more experimentation throughout the entirety of the album (which we've already gotten a taste of with the 3rd single, "Daggers of Black Haze"). If you like At the Gates, and especially Slaughter of Soul, then you'll enjoy this song; much like I did!