© 2002-2024

Antropomorphia > Necromantic Love Songs > Reviews
Antropomorphia - Necromantic Love Songs

Nice Pun - 63%

GuntherTheUndying, June 7th, 2016

Some forgotten gems within the catacombs of obscure death metal have remerged and found the grace they had long ago deserved. Others, however, had been more concerned with sticking it in the rotting corpses around the graves, and thus failed to live up to expectations when excavations of a potential diamond in the filth had begun. One such example of this forlorn category of hidden releases is Antropomorphia’s “Necromantic Love Songs,” a small EP of death metal tunes that are, well, not romantic. The EP reeks of the early stages of a group that was trying to figure out what went where and what to do when it went where it belonged, if you know what I mean. (And I will shamelessly admit it took a long, long time before I got the pun.)

Antropomorphia sprouted from the influence of noteworthy death metal bands, such as Autopsy and Death; it is easy to see these influences brewing up in what is undeniably death metal with an old-fashioned edge. Sadly, the riffs suggesting influence from the aforementioned groups coughed up through fast and mid-paced medians are unable to captivate. They aren’t boring or flat, but they are basic death metal riffs that go through the motions, I guess. I haven’t been able to recall most of these songs without digging up the EP to give my memory a jumpstart, and death metal with forgettable, bland riffs sinks where it stands. However, pretty much every other component of “Necromantic Love Songs” nails it. The low, guttural vocals are sickening; the drum work is surprisingly vital; and the production is raw and sloppy, perfect for such filth.

But Antropomorphia was at least perceptive enough in its erotic serenading of the deceased to weave in impressive instrumental knacks. Bass lines are everywhere throughout the EP, most notably kicking off “The Carnal Pit” with a funky groove which the rest of the band casually enters before reaching their desired death metal directive. “Chunks of Meat” stitches up a jazzy Atheist-esque drum section during one of its decelerated sections, leading to an eventual eruption that is all the more intriguing due to an unfamiliar idea setting up the rest of the music. A few spiffy riffs introduce themselves here and there, but mostly Antropomorphia does the death metal thing with extra sickness.

The EP’s title, lyrics, and cover art reveal Antropomorphia’s fetishistic knack for the dead; Jeffery Dahmer was subtler, I’m sure. “Necromantic Love Songs” is not a bad release by any means, but it is stripped of execution and lacks significance that would have elevated it to a higher status. Then again, Antropomorphia sounds like the type of band that would rather crack open caskets and do the nasty than exercise its musical dominance, and that deserves respect. You be you, Antropomorphia.

This review was written for: www.Thrashpit.com

old skool! - 80%

goredisorder, November 19th, 2010

Necromantic Love Songs? I think I’ve found me some killer wedding songs, which pretty much ensures I’ll never get to use them as such. This is as old school as it gets (not including myself), and it’s short but has almost everything you could ever want from a death metal record. “Crack the Casket” starts off with a melodic and somber instrumental bit, before tossing in that heavy as fuck guitar tone with a grinding riff on repeat that almost puts you in a trance. That fucking riff.. you know from the first time you hear this first riff that Necromantic is going to be one solid piece of death metal, or you should know, or at least pretend to know so people like me don’t mock you.

The second song “Carnal Pit” starts off with a funky fresh bass solo to once again leave you anticipating the almighty dose of heavy riffs, which indeed are delivered. Did I mention how prominent the bass is for the entirety of the album? I did now. YES. BASS. YES. It sounds so good I want to eat it. That’s how awesome the bass is. “Birth Through Dead” offers a section of doom metal as well as a solo plus more cool old school riffs. “Chunks of Meat” kicks off with one of the most crushing breakdowns ever and keeps going with another dose of melody and badass bass-age. “Rotted Flesh” starts with a killer riff reminiscent of Bolt Thrower or some other awesomeness I can’t place my finger on and is generally slower and more emotional than the other tracks, ending with a catchy riff that will probably be stuck in your head the next day. And in case you haven’t noticed, Antropomorphia has a knack for making the coolest song titles ever that absolutely reek of brutal oldschoollicsiousness (only a made up word can do it justice).

The outro is another melodic instrumental bit that ends on the perfect note, but after the righteousness of the first five songs they could’ve ended this with a fart and it would still be awesome (or more awesome actually). This has gotta be the most perfect and awesome old school as fuck death metal ep ever. Any negative aspects? Song structure and riffs get a little awkward at times blah blah blah. It is STILL perfect. Perfect growly vocals. You’ve heard ‘em a million times before but you’ll be glad to hear ‘em again. Awesome bass mixage (made up word = justice). Generally great flow and no song gets stale or overstays its welcome at any point. Modest and pleasant guitar solos. Awesome blend of brutality and melody and make no mistake this is by no means “melodic death metal,” motherfuck no. FUCKING OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL it doesn’t get any better than this. This should have been a full-length cd, like a 79 minute one, or if it came out on tape it should have been 90 minutes, and I know jackshit about vinyl so I’ll leave it at this: Necromantic Love Songs is awesome old school death metal that will leave you wanting more and wishing it was longer.

Tales of Necrophilia : Dutch edition - 82%

stabwounds, May 22nd, 2009

Antropomorphia is a Dutch death metal band advocating aggression through their chosen path of music and necrophilia through their lyrics. 'Necromantic Love Songs' is an EP spanning around 24 minutes of nasty death metal. This EP boasts of some trampling riffs, delectable drumming and a thoroughly befitting bass outro.

With an album name like 'Necromantic Love Songs', I'm sure you know what to expect in lyrical content! The lyrics drip of sickening gore where 'Antropomorphia' conjures up the lustful dead to indulge in nauseous activities which you don't want to discuss with your grandma! The vividly described escapades to necropolis for disinterring the inanimate bodies, indulging in necromancy and necrophagy are going to gross out any sensible person. These lurid tales of necrophilia are not for faint-hearted. [Not my cup of tea certainly!] The album cover is a graphical representation of lyrics in a modest way.

Keeping aside the lyrics, I would like to concentrate on the music. The guitar tone on this album is thick and heavy, which is appropriate for death metal. Deep gravelly vocals complement their thick sound. Drumming is aggressive and adequate (..and thankfully not tawdry). Although I sometimes feel, the snares are overabundant on this album. The familiar plucking of bass guitar strings opens the track 'The carnal pit' and it is certainly the darkest track on this album filled with gloomy riffs and plenty of snare flapping. This track can certainly be labeled with death/doom tag as it has decelerated crushing riffs and deep guttural vocal delivery. The grinding lead guitar spearheads the track - 'Chunks of Meat' and the chugging guitars emanate crushing riffs. The blast beats complement the guitars and accentuate the 'build' that this song offers. The tempo changes are decent and the lead guitar work is excellent on this track. The 'outro' is the track which qualified to be on 'repeat mode' on my player. No one would expect this album to end with a minute long bass solo. It makes me reflect on the past 23 minutes of blistering death metal and avoids the abrupt ending, which happens on almost every other album. When the album ends with the same tempo that it maintained from the beginning, somehow it seems incomplete to me. This melodic bass guitar outro is a good way to end an album which surprised me!

The production could have been better if the snares were pushed slightly back during the mixing. Sometimes they can be like the annoying fly between you and your favorite ice-cream, buzzing past your ears and attacking your ice-cream. Forcing you to shift your focus from the yummy ice-cream to a trivial annoying fly! The bass seems to be inconsistent - audible at few places and at other places - lost among the dominating layers of guitar and drums. On the other hand, the album has some brutal riffs and good variation of drumming. All the instruments can be heard clearly (except the bass and the outro is a painful reminder of this fact) All in all - a fine piece of death metal with slight doomy touches.