© 2002-2017

The Blueprint for Nu Metal - 78%

drummingnerd99, March 24th, 2017
Written based on this version: 1987, CD, Island Records

So, let's just get this out of the way now. nu metal is an abomination known to man. With the exception of Korn (EARLY KORN MIND YOU), Deftones, Early Linkin Park, Soulfly, and the occasional spin of The Burning Red by Machine Head, nu metal was a shit-stain best left behind in the late 90's and early 2000's. Whiny vocals, laughable lyrics that would make try hard grunge bands cringe, and simplistic structures and song arrangements, it was everything that us metal-heads hated, except this was marketed as the future of metal by TRL and record companies. I'd much rather listen to metal-core and death-core, than to EVER have to listen to a nu metal album again. (end of rant)

With that said, Anthrax basically laid the blueprint for the genre in 1987 when they decided to throw in their own take on the comedic rap formula that the Beastie Boys helped pioneer, with the release of their single I'm The Man. At the time, the idea of rap and metal merging together seemed impossible, and probably wasn't even thought of. Well, I'm proud to say that Anthrax created a song that's very comedic and self aware of this ridiculous idea, and decided to run with it.

I gotta hand it to the boys, the first time I heard this song, I laughed my ass off. The lyrics on this song are just pure gold that add to the overall stupidity (a good kind of stupidity mind you) and make the song even more enjoyable than it already was. Seriously the first time I heard the lyrics, "They say rap and metal can never mix,well all of them can suck a sexual organ located in the lower abdominal area! No man, it's dick!" I nearly fell out of my seat in 6th period history class. The music is very well written too, I really enjoy the beat provided by Joey Belladonna on this song (he's pretty good), and the riff-age provided by Dan Spitz and Scott Ian. It meshes very well with the song, providing a very hard edge to an otherwise goofy song. Also, major respect to the hilarity that Frank Bello provides me. Scott and Charlie do very well with they're parts too, but holy shit is Frank hysterical. His corrections to Scott's mistakes are what make this track to me, not to say that Scott and Charlie don't do a fine job, they do, it's just that Frank is defiantly the final piece to this song, and without his contributions, the song wouldn't feel as complete, and it might've even been a little awkward sounding to be honest.

As for the rest of the tracks on this EP, they're mostly okay. The cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is okay, but it could've benefited from just a little more speed. Because as it stands, it's more or less a by the numbers cover, with the only difference being that Joey is singing this instead of Ozzy. Also, what the hell happened to the crazy little tribal intro found on the original version of the song boys? The live version of I'm The Man is ass, don't even bother with it. It's a fucking mess to put it lightly. It's a shame that the song doesn't really translate all that well live, because it could've been a concert staple if done right. The live version of Caught In A Mosh is very energetic for sure, and has a little more of a faster tempo than the studio version, which is always a good thing in my books, and I've never listened to the live version of I'm The Law because eh?

Other than a few duds found within the extra tracks, this little EP is definitely worth listening to for sure. I wouldn't buy it per say, but I would recommend streaming it off of Spotify because it's a good EP. I just wish that nu metal was much better than it was. Seriously guys, Anthrax and Faith No More both showed you how to do it right, so what went wrong? I guess one will never know.

The real mix between rap and metal! - 75%

The_Soul_Punisher, July 19th, 2008

After discovering that Anthrax has done a song in which they rap, I immediately began to look for it. After finding it I expected a boring song full with rap cliches. I was wrong. This song is very fun. The guitars are heavy and the lyrics are just hilarious. This is the direction "nu metal" should have taken. The drums are very good (like in any Anthrax song) and the bassline is very catchy. The vocals are very strange for a metal song (yes, they are rapped) though very good. I do not know why people hate this song. The other song is Caught in a Mosh (live). I do not like this version. I can not hear the vocals and drums well, and it is something that piss me off. Another negative about this live version is that I feel that Dan Spitz and Scott Ian messed up too much in this recording. I am giving this single 75 percent because of the Caught in a Mosh live version. I recommend you to get this single instead of buying the ep because I'm The Man is repeated three times in th ep so you are not getting enough music for what you are paying.

Finally, if you hate rap but are curious to see how rap and metal can mix well, get this song!

For da cheap ass thrash gangsta. - 72%

hells_unicorn, May 29th, 2008

For all the cheapskates of the late 80s who didn’t want to spend a few extra dollars for the extended version of this goofy rap/metal parody before there was such a thing, “I’m the Man” also came in this fun sized version. In some respects you could say that this was the preferable version since it got rid of a pointless live version of the title track and a horrid censored version which provoked images of Tipper Gore chopping the balls off of the 1st Amendment. But unfortunately it also omitted a decent live version of “I am the Law” and a pretty solid remake of “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath”.

There isn’t really any other way to describe the title track of this single than as a cult classic amongst thrash fans. Sure, maybe it aided Faith No More in bringing about the precedent that led to nu-metal, but at least we can take comfort in knowing that abomination of a genre is literally the offspring of a complete joke, only in the case of the later crop they are trying to be serious while doing so, which doubles the laugh factor. Between the Twisted Sister sounding guitar riffs, the fairly decent Beastie Boys imitations, and the really heavily overdubbed production what comes out is quite amusing to the ears. Next to it, the “Caught in a Mosh” live track functions as sort of a decent after thought. It’s as well executed as the studio version, with the human metronome Charlie Benante giving his usual flawless performance and Belladonna sounding a little bit hoarse, but still mostly on his game.

Finding this single anywhere today would likely be next to impossible unless you combine dumb luck with a library auction or pawnshop. You will still occasionally find versions of the EP floating around, which has more goodies to offer, but also a bit of unnecessary stuff. Sadly about 10 years after Scott Ian and company conceived of this parody, they decided to morph their entire sound into it, but without the sarcasm or the slapstick. It’s tough to know how to feel about the trend that this may well have started, but the song itself is all in good fun, and unlike Limp Bizkit, is executed by a band that actually knows what the hell they’re doing.