© 2002-2021

The Gothenburg Post Scriptum - 50%

Spatupon, August 21st, 2019
Written based on this version: 2010, CD, Supreme Chaos Records

I came across this band on you-tube and even though the artwork is very run-of-the-mill and the band's name sounds like something Walt Disney would invent. To my utter dismay, Another Perfect Day, is just another imperfect In-Flames clone. The sound this band adopts is clearly inspired by the Gothenburg death metal scene at a very shallow level, with the core of this release being accessible chorus-verse-pre-chorus-chorus structure, which is very annoying, predictable and quite frankly opens up this band to a whole-new market of modern metal fans who get a boner everytime they hear anything from "Come Clarity".

This album contains 9 songs, with one being a short-instrumental track, while the others being full-fledged songs in their own right. The guitars sound very well-produced and mechanical, which in this sort of milieu, sounds just about how it should be. The bass is hearable, and the keyboards get a lot of cool moments to shine through. However, in my humble opinion, the bad outweighs the good when it comes to this album. The riffs you will hear on this album, you will hear a million times more on any random melodic "death-metal" release. Each songs averages just about right, for the minimal consistency present on this album.

This album seems to be existing in a vacuum of its own, it is clearly heavily influenced by its progenitors in the 90s Swedish scene, but it also seems to be rejecting the most heavy elements which made "death metal" the genre that it is today. One of my many qualms with this album, which I have yet to touch upon, are the ungodly clean vocals. The singer could easily pass off as a eurovision entrant and winning it. Remember when Keep of Kalessin did that? No? Of course you don't. That entry was just as forgettable as this entire album. In some cases, the singer goes into this Fish-esque - a-capella mode, which sounds very cheesy and made me cringe heavily.

The drums sound amazing, and are probably the best sounding instruments on this album. Alongside some solid melodies and climaxes, there isn't much more to say about this endeavour. For anyone who is still a rookie in the heavy metal scene, this band might serve as a stepping-stone towards something much heavier.