© 2002-2021

The Gothenburg Post Scriptum - 50%

Spatupon, August 21st, 2019
Written based on this version: 2010, CD, Supreme Chaos Records

I came across this band on you-tube and even though the artwork is very run-of-the-mill and the band's name sounds like something Walt Disney would invent. To my utter dismay, Another Perfect Day, is just another imperfect In-Flames clone. The sound this band adopts is clearly inspired by the Gothenburg death metal scene at a very shallow level, with the core of this release being accessible chorus-verse-pre-chorus-chorus structure, which is very annoying, predictable and quite frankly opens up this band to a whole-new market of modern metal fans who get a boner everytime they hear anything from "Come Clarity".

This album contains 9 songs, with one being a short-instrumental track, while the others being full-fledged songs in their own right. The guitars sound very well-produced and mechanical, which in this sort of milieu, sounds just about how it should be. The bass is hearable, and the keyboards get a lot of cool moments to shine through. However, in my humble opinion, the bad outweighs the good when it comes to this album. The riffs you will hear on this album, you will hear a million times more on any random melodic "death-metal" release. Each songs averages just about right, for the minimal consistency present on this album.

This album seems to be existing in a vacuum of its own, it is clearly heavily influenced by its progenitors in the 90s Swedish scene, but it also seems to be rejecting the most heavy elements which made "death metal" the genre that it is today. One of my many qualms with this album, which I have yet to touch upon, are the ungodly clean vocals. The singer could easily pass off as a eurovision entrant and winning it. Remember when Keep of Kalessin did that? No? Of course you don't. That entry was just as forgettable as this entire album. In some cases, the singer goes into this Fish-esque - a-capella mode, which sounds very cheesy and made me cringe heavily.

The drums sound amazing, and are probably the best sounding instruments on this album. Alongside some solid melodies and climaxes, there isn't much more to say about this endeavour. For anyone who is still a rookie in the heavy metal scene, this band might serve as a stepping-stone towards something much heavier.

A shoddy attempt at melodeath - 28%

PorcupineOfDoom, May 4th, 2015

When you hear of a band with a name like Another Perfect Day, you would naturally assume that the stuff they play is quite soppy. And you would be correct, because The Gothenburg Post Scriptum is fairly weak and obviously meant to be more accessible than anything else. Maybe to someone who has never listened to metal then this stuff might be a good stepping stone, but to anyone else it's just a waste of time.

It's actually saddening that this album is so weak, because when I see progressive melodic death metal as the genre I would at least expect some kind of powerful climax. Another Perfect Day never reach anything like that, starting out mid-tempo and ultimately ending the same way. The intensity hardly wavers at all, and the opening riffs generally set the tone for the rest of the song. The one exception is 'The Ghost She Slept Beside Me', which sort of steps up a gear from where it started by the end of the song. However, the only reason it manages that is because it starts off with some lame chugging and by the end there are at least some melodeath hooks.

The vocals at the start of the album are predominantly growls, but come the middle they start to die off and are replaced by cleans. The growls are particularly great, but I'd much rather they took the lead more often. Coupled with the wimpy melodies in the background and the recurring acoustic sections, the cleans lead this album along the lines of becoming a bad gothic metal album. Maybe if they were done to a higher standard this wouldn't be the case, but as with every other instrument that's used here, they fall way short of what can pass as amazing.

I notice a lot of similar patterns between songs, and the techniques that Kristian Kohlmannslehner (the band's only member) has at his disposal seem rather limited. The hooks, while at times captivating, are mostly simple and lack any real substance. They're played to death on each track as well. Other than that, all the guitars do is chug along. Not with any real power either, just a short, sharp chug followed by a longer gap before the process begins to repeat itself. The drumming is done by a session drummer and is pretty unspectacular, albeit not shockingly bad.

All in all, not a great composition. Even if you're new to the world of metal and are looking for something slightly watered down, I wouldn't go looking in this direction. Another Perfect Day have nothing special to offer, and there are far better melodeath acts to seek out.