© 2002-2017

Kids These Days - 62%

Tanuki, January 11th, 2017

Bearing a slight resemblance to "Wally Bear and the No! Gang" is Animosity's only EP Get Off My Back, which enjoys a cult following for featuring the talent of ex-Lese Majesty and Expatriate members Nick Nichols and Pete Schroll. For those of us with no knowledge of these bands, Animosity went to the thrash metal buffet and loaded their plate up with Vio-Lence, but upon a last-minute realization they should be eating healthier, added a bit of Anthrax to the side. Still with me?

Hard to believe I know, but the production quality of Get Off My Back is decent. A little smudgy and unrefined, as you may expect, though in a way that enriches the experience. Let's be honest - if we saw that album cover and heard In Search of Sanity, we'd feel a little cheated. Importantly, drums never blow out the audio, vocals remain consistent, and even Scott Wolford's bass guitar is usually audible. Though, there isn't much to hear, mind you. Wolford opts for a reserved approach, nonchalantly burbling through the album and avoiding eye contact with any bridges or breakdowns where he had the chance to make an impression. Guitarists Nichols and Tressler, on the other hand, are more interesting cases.

The Inspector Gadget theme song, 'Another One Bites the Dust', and 'Piece by Piece' all make an appearance in this EP. I think I'm safe in saying these riffs are unintentional, intentional and an attempt at comedy, and intentional and an attempt at theft, respectively. (Listen to 'Forced Entry' at 1:30, if you wish to weigh in on that.) Besides these anomalies, the guitar work is an interesting amalgam of 80's thrash from both sides of the spectrum: blisteringly fast aggression in the title track 'Get off my Back', akin to Eternal Nightmare, and palatable flair in 'With my Death', similar to Among the Living.

Frontman Hale Kendall is most like Brian Zimmerman of Atrophy, only worse. His rapid, gravelly shouts carry little weight, and his screams are abrupt and miserly. Backing shouts are delivered well, but are guilty of overuse. Speaking of shouting, I should mention the alleged 'Pissed Dad' that makes an appearance in two tracks. To make sure you're aware of just how rebellious and sassy Animosity is, they felt it necessary to add the nonsensical "Hey you rotten kids, turn down that music" dad trope in some 'skits' - to use the term torturously.

So, what you see is what you get. Here are twenty minutes of filthy thrash as rough as the alleyway those jaundiced dogs like to flip off Australians in.

Related listening: