Not especially memorable - 55%

demonomania, April 19th, 2006

I'm not sure what it is about this album, but just about nothing sticks in my head after many listens. While Anata are damn good at what they do, and what they do is pretty unique from what I've heard, they just don't do it for me.

I am a fan of the more technical side of death metal, like Suffocation, Psycroptic, or even Deicide. And I like some of the more ferocious melodic Swedeath, like Hypocristy, Amon Amarth, or, uhhh, well that's all that comes to mind right now. Anata manage to mix these two styles - they sound like Psycroptic allowing At the Gates to sit in for a while - and the results should (given my previous statements) have been pleasing.

Instead, I find myself wondering what the hell song I am listening to quite frequently. Some, like Sewerages... and Dance... get me banging my head. But more often then not I look up and five tracks have gone by, and time that could have been spent listening to Grave is forever wasted. Often I hear a little part that is pretty sweet, and can nod along and appreciate the musical skills that are on display. None of it is enough to justify owning the album.

I think one of my biggest problem is that the vocal patterns remove any hope of giving each separate song a character. The vocals are switched between a mid-range growl and a higher screech (been done, but I like it). However, the lower-range vocals seem to follow the same pattern most songs, not really placing a special emphasis on any one word or chorus or anything. This is something that has to be worked on for the songs to be memorable. Also, the sheer variety of riffts seem too schizo at times, also adding to the feeling that you haven't listened to a single song or a collection of them. That doesn't make much sense. But this album seems to be buried under some songs with no conviction (get it?)