© 2002-2018

Feel the Pain... - 87%

George ManoSwaR, February 18th, 2013

When I first listened to this record, I found nothing interesting about it. Then one day, I don’t know why, I brought it out of my record collection, put it in the stereo, and listened to it again after many months. Reaching the somewhat cheesy chorus of the second track, “Schizophrenia”, I felt that this was just a little above-average U.S. power metal and nothing more. With hope, the third track, “Violent Victory”, broke out of my stereo with sharp, fast riffs and nice melodies. Along with “Witch’s Sin”, they impressed me and actually this is also the reason why I write this review.

So we have quite a good U.S. power metal album after all, emphasizing fast-paced songs, yet with killer mid-tempo parts such as “Shark Attack” and the “groovy” “Witch’s Sin”. Also, there are a few rhythm changes present here and there, adding a slight progressive tone such as after the first solo in title track, “Feel the Pain”. Progressive tendencies are quite common in U.S. power metal, yet don't get me wrong on this one, the general mood of this album is mostly straightforward.

The guitar work is done greatly by talented musicians generally influenced by Iron Maiden. The riffs they play are tight, the solos are descent, and there are also melodies here and there, bringing a more traditional heavy metal feeling in contrast to the speed/thrash character of the rhythm parts.

The rhythm section of the band does its best as it tries to build the main structure for the sharp riffs to roam and the bass is quite audible at most times. Generally speaking, you will enjoy its sound and also you will enjoy the drumming as I mentioned before. Throughout, all the double bass of a track like “Violent Victory” and the rhythm changes as well as some quite intricate parts mentioned in the “Shark Attack” main riff’s drumming are as one.

The vocals are generally very good; the singer is really capable, but I yet think there was some space for a little improvement. Speaking about the technique he uses, he generally sings high notes, using the falsetto technique very much and bringing to mind King Diamond’s falsetto sometimes. His voice's tone is also harsh, which boosts up the energy of the songs.

As for the production of the album, the vocal parts sometimes give the impression that they don't have enough space to breathe and the drums could have been more muscular. Despite this, the sound is actually good, not perfect, but still nice with all that characteristic sound of '80s underground acts.

To sum it up, we have a really nice release by capable musicians, attempting a U.S. power style with speed/thrash metal-influenced riffs, high-pitched vocals, and a bold rhythm section.

Great stuff.