What the hell happened?! - 23%

skinticket, June 15th, 2009

I recently discovered this band, and I've been enjoying their previous albums for about a year or so now. When I heard they were coming out with a new album, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I was expecting a block of solid concrete and got a moist loaf of bread.

First of all, their new singer sounds like an angry kid trying to sound like Nina Hagen. Trading Niko for this guy was their biggest mistake ever, and why they gave Ari a shot at the mic at all is a complete mystery to me.

The only thing pulling this up from a definitive zero, is that there's still some trace of the great musicianship we're used to, although they've severly cut down on technical riffs and rythms leaving them with a generic power metal sound. You can hear that there's talented musicians at work, but there's just too many clich├ęs and generic solos. If I had to pick a favourite track off this album, it would probably be the intro 'Random words', most likely because theres no vocals on it.

It's such a shame that it would end like this for Amoral (because it most certainly is over for them after this blunder), all the other albums left you craving for more, while this one leaves you with a bitter aftertaste and never wanting to listen to them ever again. Listening all the way through this was painful and exhausting, leaving me with a strong hatred for power metal (which I used to like) and absolutely NO memorable songs. If you love this band, then for your own sake, don't ever listen to this album!