© 2002-2020

Amoebic Dysentery - Hospice Orgy - 50%

Phuling, April 23rd, 2008

Amoebic Dysentery are back with another weird-as-hell, sick-ass, mofo goregrind album. In all honesty I’ve never really taken a liking to the band and their music, mainly ‘cause it reminds me a bit of Anal Cunt at times. For some that’s the greatest comparison you can make, but I want it to be a bit more serious and not just messing around. Sure, there are some good tunes on here, but for the most time it’s just bland.

The drum machine is set to max, the pitch shifter is busy at work and the strings are slicing and dicing. Unlike dozens and dozens of goregrind acts (most of ‘em with drum machine) there are a huge variation in between tunes. It’s not just the same endless blasting and guttural growling; each song stands out from the next. And well, that’s a high selling point! Vocal-wise it ranges from the previously mentioned guttural growling to gnarly screams to piglet growling and even to clean vocals. Now that last one adds a great touch to some of the tunes, a bit humorous but still great. My name is Bubbah, Shat out and shut up and Necrophilaxe are probably my favourite tracks on here, and those really stand out ‘cause of the slight use of clean vocals. And I can’t help but to laugh my arse off as soon as the intro for Nobody cares ‘cause you’re fat sets in. They’ve really nailed the samples.

Even though they have a lot of variation and some really cool parts I find it difficult to listen to the entire album in one session. The speeded drum machine gets one my nerves after a while. And it’s sad ‘cause they can really come out strong in a Regurgitate/Last Days of Humanity kind of way, only to fade out into the endless crowd of over-speeded drum machine goregrind. I suppose their fans will have a ball since the CD includes a butt-ugly video for What if the dead body was drunk?, but they don’t really win me over.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net