© 2002-2018

A journey through LLN Vol. VII - 90%

hailmarduk666, October 4th, 2009

Whether or not AH was actually considered part of LLN is irrelavant. I am adding them to my journey mainly because Beleth was in Torgeist, and was quite influential in the LLN scene; be it good or bad. Nevertheless, this album is fucking chilling.

Again, Beleth spends a lot of time making the vocals and organ a focal point throughout the record. There is an abundance of overdubbed vocals, much more intricate and suffocating than anything previously seen. It is just unbelievable how many different screams, howls, wails, and croaking whispers can be laid atop one another. It sounds like a pack of hyenas that found their feast left by the lions in the savannah of Africa. Cackling and excited, sorrowful and in pain; all at once. Powerful hisses and groaning whispers pervade your senses, and stab at your brain like a million tiny needles.

There are also many different added samples, similar to bowing a treble-heavy guitar on distortion. Sweeping whoops and scratching can be heard at various points of the album, and crescendo the madness to almost unbearably epic proportions. Beleth has very much added into this release all that he has incorporated in his triad of demos the previous year.

With all this added soundscape, there is a drone-like quality that is exponentiated by the organ, which drones ahead in the background. Because of the added samples, and multiplicity, there is not as much a focus on this element, and thus is a little further in the mix.

Similar in style to the first demo, in overall sound, it is above and beyond more produced, and well laid out. Nothing clashes, and there is a good flow. Unfortunately, though, it is just too abrasive, and overbearing. I had a very hard time listening to the whole album, and listening to it a second time was almost out of the question. Perhaps this is the reason that I will give this the best score of the entire lot, because I was actually apprehensive to listen to it; not because it was poorly done, but maybe it was TOO well done. There is just a creepy, and spine-tingling element that is in this record, that, if given the chance, could wake the dead. Something that is as scary as this should definitely be approached with extreme caution. Those who are not familiar with this type of darkness should listen to it either in the day, with lights on, or something like that, but definitely not when you are home alone. Anything that goes bump in the night could send your teeth a-chattering, and make you break out in a cold sweat!

I'm Afraid To Close My Eyes. - 60%

Perplexed_Sjel, February 6th, 2007

"Aheah Saergathan!" will go down as the most chilling, the most haunting and the most creepy album I have ever had the displeasure of hearing. Amaka Hahina are well known and well respected within the Dark Ambient genre and this is without a doubt the sole reason why. The Black Lord Beleth is the sole creator of Amaka Hahina and someone I would never like to meet. His soul must be as black and dark as this music. If so, he is one tormented fellow and it’s shown very crudely through this creation.

As previously stated in many of the other reviews, not much can be said about the music itself as it doesn't often vary. Simplistic organ chords which drag on for extended periods of time, the echo of werewolves in the wilderness to portray the inner beast of this record and a haunting voice muttering about god knows what through indecipherable vocals. This is extremely captivating despite the fact not much musical progression can be found. The atmospheric tendencies that the record possesses is enough to keep an audience on the edge of their seat, but one must understand that the progression of this record is fairly limited.

If this were a journey across the world, it would be done on foot, as opposed to faster forms of transport. Why do I use that particular metaphor? Well, to me, the pace of this record is at walking speed. There isn’t much change in the music throughout it’s entirety, so if you’re seeking a highly polished record that explores several genres at one time, then you’re in the wrong place. This is pure and simple dark ambient from perhaps the best LLN member, though that’s hardly saying much.

It's as if one track has been separated into numerous tracks. It's like watching a horror movie unfold with your hands over your eyes, occasionally peering between your fingers to see the gruesome tale unfold. It's frightening, but it’s essential to watch and hard to turn away from. The images this portrays vary throughout. Werewolves feeding over a dead and lifeless corpse whilst their master, presumably Lord Beleth, watches the massacre unfold before his tormented eyes.

Other images that are conjured up include isolation of a tormented soul forbidden entry to heaven and forced into the depths of hell. Nothing pleasant can be found on this disc. It's monotonous, chilling to the bone and disturbing. This is incredibly bizarre, undoubtedly fascinating and entrancing. There is a suggestion that it can become quite boring and tedious towards the end, which is somewhat true. The lack of innovation or dynamics is unappealing to most, no doubt about it. So again, for those of you who are expecting an action-packed, fast-paced and no-nonsense thrills, this is the wrong place to look.

The LLN were never that great, so this is certainly a class above the rest. Meah Metreah is a fantastic song, it‘s haunting soundscapes are portrayed far better than the others on the record. This is one record which will have me spooked for the rest of my days.

Likely to be a camp classic in years to come - 80%

NausikaDalazBlindaz, December 23rd, 2006

Here is a very strange and creepy dark ambient recording that may well test the patience of even the most devoted and fanatical followers of the French Black Legions bands. Each of six tracks on this CD is structured around simple and repetitive organ chord melodies all of which on their own would be quite soothing if a little forlorn-sounding, but in the context of this album can sned shivers up and down the spine and even make you feel sick. Hanging onto those melodies which rarely change throughout their respective tracks are various noises and sound effects, often treated with echo, of weird monsters, werewolves perhaps, vampires gone crazed from excessive iron intake and not enough white wine, and other children of the night all partying when the full moon appears and the witching hour approaches. Throughout the music an ogre snores or growls and mutters various statements in a strange mixture of French and an obscure language that features on many Black Legions recordings; I assume this character is of course Lord Beleth'Rim, the sole evil mastermind of Amaka Hahina and creator of this wacko recording, and a former member of the Black Legions band Torgeist.

As the music progresses, the tracks don't change much apart from the organ chord sequences which change key and melody; each track is like a snapshot of what could be a much longer if unvarying soundscape in that the music usually fades in at the beginning and fades out at the end. The music is like part of some weirdo nature documentary - you could easily imagine track 4, "Haine, Meurtre et Suicide ..." as representing feeding time at the local vampire zoo, all the creepy ghouls crowding and jostling around their victim and squabbling over who gets the choicest and juiciest bits. The organ music takes on an increasingly demented and comic air and even Lord Beleth'Rim appears unable to resist hamming up his growls and snarls while hellhounds around him shriek for equal attention. Murky lo-fi production gives the music and the vocalisations a soupy and disoriented impression.

On one level this is a disturbing and frightening recording that reeks of hate and disgust for humans and on another level it's blackly hilarious and deranged, and you need a - well, what else? - black sense of humour to appreciate it. The music is very monotonous to the point of boredom and the organ sounds can be cheesy so those used to actual songs from Black Legions bands like Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes might find the album hard-going and silly. It's quite possible though that with the passage of a few more years, "Aheah Saergathen!" might be considered a camp classic of sorts in the manner of Church of Satan founder Anton La Vey's satanic church organ music.

Pure Darkness In The Form of a Cd - 97%

PaganWinter_44, February 19th, 2006

I have waited a long time to get my hands on a copy of this album. And how my patience has rewarded me. Amaka Hahina is the pure form of darkness, misanthropy, and death. Nothing that I have listened to can match the overwhelming impact of this.

Upon entering your cd player, Amaka Hahina delivers a slow, creepy, and disturbing piece called Meah Metreah. This is eleven minutes of pure, disturbing music, if music is what you'd call it. You hear the harsh, high-pitched screams and wails of a computer-altered voice. It almost makes you think of a dancing orb screaming for its life. You also hear the tortured screams and moans of Lord Beleth. This song is truly a piece of disturbing art.

Throughout the album, you will hear various organ chords, which serve little purpose other than background structures. I am thankful that they do not repeat the same chords, along with other elements, over and over again. Within every song, the organs and effects progress to more disturbing heights. Sometimes, you may even make out Beleth saying some words. I have managed to understand him saying "Tear me open, Die, and Drink My Blood." Beleth could be saying other things, but that is all I have to gather from.

The downside of this album is that no one bothered to master it correctly. On certain parts when the organs and "vocals" progress, your speakers begin to vibrate with that horrible overload sound. It makes for a break in concentration. You can be leisurely listening, if that is possible, and then hear the overloaded vocals and organs. It interrupts all focus on the music.

I have never been too avid a fan of the LLN. They have disappointed me in the past. Amaka Hahina, however is excellent. So close to achieving perfection. If not for bad mastering, this would be the perfect album. Amaka Hahina is pure darkness in the form of a cd. I only reccomend this album for those who are not one of the "many butterflies who have tried to fly towards the flame, but were consumed."

The LLN lives on - 92%

torn, January 19th, 2006

Probably best known for his work in Torgeist, Lord Beleth’Rim has clearly not lost the knack for writing such disturbing music that made much of the LLN material so fantastic. If you’ve heard any of the ambient LLN projects, then you’ll know roughly what to expect. The ‘music’ here is all wrapped up in a very analogue, dirty sound, and despite being a full-length record, the production is of demo standard. This is perfect, though, and exactly what is needed for this sort of music. The songs all sound very similar. A tinny sounding organ plays a simple chord progression while bizarre swirling sounds, moans, gurgling, and all manner of twisted samples are layered on top of it. Harshly whispered vocals reverberate around the mix, echoing on for longer than is natural, creating a sickly atmosphere.

Atmosphere really is the key word here, because this isn’t music to sit down and listen to; it doesn’t hold your attention. It’s designed to give the darkest ambience possible to wherever it’s played in, and it certainly does its job better than almost any other record of this style that I’ve heard. The fact that each song is constructed in the same way may put some people off, but I think it works perfectly, and for the duration of the record (about 36 minutes) I didn’t find it boring or tedious in the least. The atmosphere is captivating and mesmerising, and, apart from some of those old LLN projects, is really unparalleled by any of today’s dark ambient acts.

Come and be devoured! - 95%

LordBelketraya, November 30th, 2005

Upon listening to 'Aheah Saergathan!' I could easily classify this as something in the vein of Moëvöt and Aäkon Këëtrëh. I would say that Moëvöt is based more on chanting/singing and Aäkon Këëtrëh has more despair, guitar-style ambience than this album. 'Aheah Saergathan!' relies heavily on the steady use of repetitive organs with distorted growls, whispers, strange voices in the background, seemingly all at once. The production is better than previous demos and is quite possibly something that Black Lord Beleth'Rim has had in mind since the early days of Torgeist with the song 'March Of The Black Assemblies'. It's something he does well and he certainly has a disturbed mind, albeit a creative one. This is something that I can listen to years from now and will be considered a classic Black Legions release. Also, if you want to play something to scare the hell out of your friends this would be recommended listening. It's also one of the most eerie, empty and depressing cd's I've ever heard, almost a soundtrack to despair and suicide.

Needless to say that this and anything from the Black Legions is very esoteric listening even to Black Metal fans. So you obviously have to have a stomach for sick, depressing, minimal and obscure black metal/dark ambient to enjoy this. Aside from the Hellraper project I've pretty much enjoyed everything that Beleth'Rim has put out. The songs seem to be a mix of French and something that I guess is a very obscure dialect or a crazy language that you'll notice on 80% of 'Les Legions Noires' releases. Is it something they invented to add to the atmosphere of their songs? Quite possible. But most importantly its unique and its all their own. They are the most creative group of musicians since Scandinavia produced a huge amount of ground-breaking and highly influential Black Metal in the late 80's/early 90's. The LLN in my mind have carried the torch and taken Black Metal to even sicker depths. I hope to hear more new music from this obscure but underrated group of sick individuals in the future.

Dark and Abysmal - 85%

Foret_Noire, February 4th, 2005

Amaka Hahina is well known for being the raw suicidal dark ambient project by Beleth'Rim of Torgeist and Vermeth fame. The Black Lord's 4th and final release, Ahead Saergathan is probably one of the darkest that was ever unleashed by such a genius creator. Very atmospheric in the sense that every once of hatred and disgust is poured into this release and follows 30 minutes of in-depth hymns of suffering for humanity and the desire that existence may rot so once again this earth may be clensed of the human plague.

On a musical aspect this is very dark and abysmal ambient that really will not attract many listeners (though ironically with the LLN hype it has) and reflects exactly what i described as above. Many people may find Amaka Hahina to be similar to the Torgeist demo tape intros/outros the most. Very dark and abysmal ambient releases, though I believe that Aheah Saegathan is much darker in this art as opposed to Beleth'Rims early ambient works from the amaka hahina demos as well as the work he had done with the intros and outros to the Torgeist demo tapes. It's very dark synth work in the background with an array of interesting noises which are hard to explain simply. Sometimes a very raspy voice seems to be made out between the actual music that warps your mind through various levels of depression and despair as you hear on this LP release. There also seems to be the occasional whistles and wails that really add to this abysmal atmosphere in the nature of Amaka Hahina. As for the actual musical aspects of this release it's definitely something that will not appeal beyond the likes of a few very disturbed minds as each track progresses through the various depths of hatred and suffering. Most songs seem to contain a very similar structure. A few very dark and depressing synth notes with additional layers of random noises and agonizing vocals that can haunt and destroy a person's soul with the nature of this art.

Amaka Hahina will not be a favorite to many, but i recommend hearing this release to all those who are interested in hearing the very depths of inhumanity that is contained on this release. An ambient masterpiece that destructs all existence and life that will ever hear it. You have not heard dark music until you have had the assault of Amaka Hahina unleashed upon your ears. Aheah Saergathan is one of the darkest and most hateful ambient releases ever to exist. The depths this album can reach to those receptive is beyond what can be told!