A Fantastic, Brutal Debut - 95%

Sympherion, March 23rd, 2014

Just a few day's ago the band Alterbeast, which was formerly under the name "Gary Busey Amber Alert", released their debut album "Immortal". This album has been nothing short of being highly anticipated, with reviews from multiple major metal sites and even a recommendation to listeners from the guys in The Black Dahlia Murder. The members of Alterbeast and their record label had released three or four songs prior to releasing the full album, just to give listeners a taste. I admit, I was quite confused on what the overall sound might be, as the songs they had pre released had sort of a collision of sounds. This is never a bad thing, as a lot of the metal community praises creativity and well mixed musical styles.

I'm here to tell you that fans of all kinds of metal will enjoy this album. Not only does this album have a great mix of the more melodic side of death metal, but you'll also find some nice brutal and technical death metal in there as well. For lovers of the higher screaming style vocals this album is a great one to listen to and explore. The vocalist does the great gutturals and screams in a pretty great amount of unison and does not use too much over the other. The song "Vile Remnants" is a great example of this. You'll hear that whichever vocal style you might here, it fits quite well with the instrumentals or whatever section of the song it might be.

This album has great instrumental work all around, and even has some cool sound effects at the beginning and ends of songs. The guitars in this album have an extremely heavy tone, but are not boring at all. They get utilized well throughout the album with multiple solos that are long and hearty, you have some slam type material in there, and of course those perfect blast beat riffs. Now the drums, holy crap are you in for a ride. With Alterbeast having The Kennedy Veil's drummer on their side, you should expect some insane drumming. The drums in this album are one of the most intense parts in my opinion, the fills are just great, the blast beats are terrific and on point, and the drum work during the solos just sums it all up. The best part about the instrumentals is how well they mix together. On song's like "Mutilated Marvel" and "Into Oblivion", you can tell that these musicians now what they're doing with their instruments and how well they can keep on pace with each other.

The album keeps an extremely heavy tone and sound throughout and has a dark and brutal ambience. It's one of those albums that never stops hitting you hard and just keeps splitting your brain. The album keeps you guessing, from song to song you'll hear that each one is unique in its own way and stands out from every other song on the album. It's hard to get bored of this album while you listen to it because of what it utilizes, and how creative yet well produced it is. You can hear influences from all around the charts, some of the one's that stood out to me were Suffocation, Dying Fetus, The Black Dahlia Murder, and maybe even some Decrepit Birth!

Some of the things that disappointed me a bit were with song's like "Flesh Bound Text", which is the opening song, it sets a nice melodic sound for the album, which is definitely utilized throughout the album but I wish it was used a bit more. The only other thing I can think of is that some of the riffs on here were just downright amazing, but unfortunately some of those riffs were only used for an extremely short time, which was a little disappointing.

I'm going to give this album a 95%, because overall it really was a great listen. There aren't many flaws within the album and it definitely does what it's supposed to. It's an album you can simply go right to and know that when you put it on you'll be hearing the brutal death metal sound you want, while also getting to hear some of that melodic and technical stuff you love too. For a debut, this album couldn't have been much better. It surprised the hell out of me and I think that every death metal fan should give it at least one listen, Alterbeast has created a death metal beast with "Immortal".