© 2002-2020

Alkerdeel – Morinde - 92%

Forsaker1981, May 1st, 2013

Belgian sludge / black / drone crew Alkerdeel have been constructing some of the darkest, most frustrated and erratic sounds around since 2005. Here on their second full-length release the Zomergem group stick to the formula that has won them hordes of fans from far and wide. The first of four tracks committed to tape, ‘Winterteens’ can take a few listens before you reap the rewards.

With tar-thick slow buzz-saw guitars supporting the wretched screams of Pede for the bulk of the track. ‘Hesesepikn’ has a broad, far reaching feel to it, the addition of some truly unrelenting blast-beats half-way through, ensuring that concentration levels don’t fall short. ‘Du Levande’ is by far the longest track, at a monstrous twenty plus minutes. However it does not feel half as long. Here the band are awash with ideas, achieving some interesting time changes and rhythms thanks to the infectiously brutal barrage of beats from drummer Nieke.

The most fascinating thing about Morinde is that it was recorded live in one night, quite astounding. There were absolutely no overdubs added whatsoever, making this a truly unique compilation of work, that if recorded at another date and time could sound completely different. In a day and age whereby most music is created by computers, this is something that is almost unheard of.

Praise should be given to the fine mastering applied by Tom Kvalsvoll. Furthermore, it also speaks volumes about the confidence of the quartet and highlights how comfortable they are as a working unit.

This is no Lugubrum. - 23%

RicardoAlprazolam, September 6th, 2012

For a while now, I have been closely monitoring the Belgian underground for the next band that is able deliver the same poetic grimness that the early Lugubrum albums such as "Winterstones" could. I was hoping that Alkerdeel would be that band. Fair enough, the cover artwork of "Morinde" is close to being original and managed to get my attention.

Unfortunately, the rest of the album packaging is far less inspiring. I first thought I held a promo copy in my hands, but no, this low budget carboard sleeve without lyrics or pictures is actually the real deal. Maybe this is an artistic statement, to let the fan focus on the music instead of pictures? Okay, let's get listening.

The music itself proved to be as disappointing as the packaging. The four tracks with very different lenghts (everything in between two and twenty minutes) go everywhere and nowhere at the same time. From droning atmospheric parts - sometimes not unlike early Burzum - into Darkthrone riffing into grindcore blasting and solo guitar wanking that would even make Kerry King cringe, there really is no common ground. As you might expect, the "production" of this album is very poor too. It sounds pretty much like a band jamming in a cellar with bad sound proofing. After going through 40 minutes of this, the only feeling I have is: damn, this was a waste of time and money.

This is probably one of those typical hipster metal projects, only to be enjoyed with wine and blow right before or after Peter Terry and the City Prophets and Lady Gaga albums. I'd rather not be that open minded and stick to good metal. Sorry!

Alkerdeel – Morinde - 80%

zarto, March 16th, 2012

It is really hard to believe that a song that goes beyond 15 minutes could catch the attention of the listener and could be enjoyable by any metal fan, but what is really incredible is the fact that these songs I’m talking about are not from progressive, melodic, or epic metal (which are the genres that usually make these songs melodic and memorable). These ones come from raw sludge/black metal, and to finish this paragraph, the tracks are good, are pleasant, and are entertaining.

Keeping the old school, hard-hitting rhythm, ALKERDEEL in 41 minutes teaches everyone that talent doesn’t mean virtuosity. This band keeps the same extreme noise in their songs, but slightly use other elements. The distortion abuse sounds excellent, making me recall the old black metal bands that always managed to bring out the evil in me.

Let’s be more specific about the instrumentation. The guitars are clearly what takes the “melody” here, taking the songs into something raw with riffs that go hand in hand with the punky sound characteristic of nowadays in the “innovation” of modern black metal bands, and at some moments slow down and go into a drone and a lone guitar high effect, making painful sound that for the first moments are good, then it becomes annoying. The drums are good and classical, but nothing special, maybe using that “drown old” sound like hitting pots, but used in a good way, not better than everything, but not worse than anything. About the bass...well, this kind of production makes it loose in the songs. It is not appreciable in most of the parts of the songs, and it’s hard to say something good about something you can barely hear in the album.

For the rest, it’s nothing special, but at the same time these guys gave me a really good impression, because it’s not something boring after 10 minutes, but they do not have the best 20 minute song I’ve ever heard. It’s in a strange way very good just because they use the most basic elements in order to make good music, and they are going in a very decent way.