© 2002-2024

Agnosia > Ad Nauseam > Reviews > chrisc7249
Agnosia - Ad Nauseam

Agnosia - Ad Nauseam - 80%

chrisc7249, November 19th, 2020

Finding a gem of a demo that seemingly no one knows about is always the best. Usually, it’s nothing special, and while little-known Agnosia’s one and only release isn't the greatest crowning achievement of death metal that you’ve never heard of, it’s certainly an awesome little slab of some absolutely sinister death metal that I think is worth 13 minutes of your time.

At only a baker’s dozen minutes long, there obviously isn’t much to unpack, but "Ad Nauseam" certainly makes their impression in the timeframe that they’re given. This is aggressive fucking death metal right here, my friends, one that reminds me of Malevolent Creation’s “Retribution” and Deicide’s “Legion” - before either of those monstrous records even came out. Yes, the name of the game here is jagged, crushing riffs hitting you in the face at lightning speed, blistering technicality, spastic vocals, complete with a raw production job that certainly makes it sound like a product of its time. Speaking of the production, everything is actually pretty audible which is a nice little surprise for me. I’d say this record is actually very reminiscent of the one and only Jumpin’ Jesus record we were graced with in this same year, having that absolutely ferocious, agitated sound, with songs frantically switching between monumental riffs that will make your headphones (or speakers) shake when you listen to it. It’s impressive stuff, and it is a damn shame that all this band managed to release is this one, lone, short (but wonderful) demo. Had the band stuck together and put out a full length, I have almost no doubt in my mind that it would have been an underground classic 30 years later, alas, this is all we have to work with. Thankfully, the demo is for free listening on YouTube, so no mustering up 300+ bucks to get a copy of this just for a listen or two.

Once again, far from original, but for its time, very heavy, manic and uncontrolled, just how I like my death metal. A little cavernous, a little brutal, a little technical, a little thrashy, and a whole lot of fucking headbanging fun. Worth a listen for anyone who just appreciates death metal, especially rare old school shit that you haven’t heard of before.

Final score: 8/10