© 2002-2020

Good, But Not For Al - 75%

Paralyzer2010, April 16th, 2011

Canada, a place I haven’t looked into for metal too much and I don’t know of many bands from there except the a few (Annihilator, Cauldron, Anvil). But when I came across Aggressor their logo caught my eye and I knew had to take a listen and it was worth it.“Staring Down At You” is a 3 track ep with 2 original songs and a cover of Thin Lizzy’s “Cold Sweat.” These guys can’t really be classified into any one subgenre of metal but I would say they are closely linked to thrash metal. But if you’re a thrash metal purist be warned that this a much more modern metal style and if you like it like Slayer, Kreator, etc. you probably will not enjoy this EP.

The EP kicks off with “I Am The Locust” and this is where the modern sound prevails. The music has a very modern metal sound to it and like I said earlier, might keep some of you purists away from Aggressor. It was my least favorite track on the album due to this sounding more modern. The 2nd track is the EP’s namesake, “Staring Down At You.” This songs is a much thrashier song and still has a modern metal vibe, but this is their sound and it’s great to see a band taking their own route on the metal trail and not just copying what they listened to as kids, or as some people like to say: “retro-thrashing.” These guys are very talented group as you can hear in these 2 original songs with a great voice and blistering solos. The highlight of “Staring Down AT You” is the cover of Thin Lizzy’s “Cold Sweat.” A great song that Aggressor covered masterfully and I give them 2 thumbs up for that. This ep is worth picking up just for this song.

Overall, this was a pretty good ep. I’m not so much into the modern metal sound but these guys are doing it different than the rest of the thrash bands out right now, and that is where Aggressor wins me over. As I have stated twice before if you’re looking for Slayer or Kreator look elsewhere because you will not enjoy this EP and only add another band to your hate list. Definitely worth a listen, especially if you are trying to expand your musical horizons within a specific genre.

-Mike Mendyk