Sorrow to Earth - 82%

Livingwave17, October 27th, 2018

I will start by saying that I’m not an admirer of doom metal as a genre. The dragging four chord patterns of the songs have always seemed boring and uninspired to me and I could never appreciate the depressing lyrics and atmosphere. Funeral doom metal takes these features to even further extremes. It’s a perfect recipe to have you frantically hacking at your wrists with a kitchen knife. Aeonian Sorrow’s debut is the first doom metal album that I’ve liked since Trees of Eternity. I’ll admit that not being an expert in the field I can become very judgemental of the simplicity of the music. But earlier today I was watching a video with Nergal of Behemoth where he very eloquently pointed out that “…opinions are like assholes… everybody has one”. And for that reason I will leave my opinion of song structures and complexity out of the discussion. After a single spin of “Into the Eternity a Moment We Are” I could understand that this album does not set out to satisfy my insatiable lust for sweep picking, 6/7 time signatures and breakdowns. This time, all the ‘doom metal clichés’ seemed to make sense and fall right into place.

This album is all about the atmosphere that it creates and the message it sends out to the listener. It comes forward as an exploration of the deepest corners of our minds and really succeeds at creating a mournful ambiance. It almost seems like the emotion that comes with the music isn’t human, but a dark vibration that resonates with the whole world. The slow pace feels patient rather then dragging, and the lyrics create a picture of loss and regret that really reaches into you. It doesn’t send a dark emotion but just awakens what is already inside you. The best thing that I have to say about this album is that it is truly genuine.

The reason for this success in expression is probably the circumstances that surrounded the composer at the time of writing. The band’s lead singer and creative mind Gogo Melone claims that when these songs were emerging, she was in a really dark place and I can only say that whatever she was feeling is now deeply rooted in the sound of her creation. For once I can truly say ‘I feel you’. We should be grateful that she found a way to channel her sorrow into something beautiful. And another aspect that I love about this album is that in an ocean of personal feelings, she has found space to write a great tribute song to Aleah Stanbridge of Trees of Eternity, titled ‘Memory of Love’.

Overall, the album revolves around a piano and strings background that sets the ominous mood and on top come the heavy guitars and harsh vocals that really give meaning to the word ‘catharsis’. The best asset of the music is probably the contrast between Gogo’s beautiful clean singing and Alejandro Lotero’s harsh vocals. The song ‘Thanatos Kyrie’ really puts them both under the spotlight and is my personal favorite on the record. It feels like a thick and suffocating mist with a pale sun shining somewhere behind it. It’s a true dark meditation.

I will come back to my obnoxious and judgemental self for the end to say that you really shouldn’t listen to this album if you’re tired or sleepy, because that funeral doom metal recipe will put you in a coma without warning. But in appropriate circumstances, Aeonian Sorrow’s debut is really enjoyable and for true connoisseurs of the genre, it’s a hidden gem waiting to be uncovered. Despite this music not being my cup of tea I have listened and analyzed the album more than once and I have not only come out of it with my wrists intact but also having enjoyed it. Into the Eternity this album is just a Moment. A moment that I hope you can spare to listen to a song or two. YouTube and Bandcamp below.

Enjoy!