© 2002-2024

Aegaeon > Exponential Transcendence > Reviews
Aegaeon - Exponential Transcendence

Ow, My Head. - 85%

Larry6990, July 5th, 2014

Deathcore may be one of my least favourite aspects of metal, but this is a band who know how to take the endless breakdowns & monotonous vocal phrasing, and inhumanly twist it into something not just listenable, but incredibly fascinating...and stupidly fucking heavy.

The sound of Aegaeon (no, I don't know how to pronounce it) is akin to that of a planet going supernova and dragging the rest of the solar system into a mammoth implosion. The guitar tone is monstrously heavy, the drums are bombastic without being over-produced, the bass rumbles with colossal power, and the vocals resemble those of Satan himself. If a black hole had a voice, then Jim Martin would be its vocal coach. Top this with a crystal clear production, and you have a grotesquely monumental tower of noise, armed and prepared to assault any ears that dare cross its path.

One other characteristic of Aegaeon that sets them apart from the legions of Job For A Cowboy-clones, is the ethereal, and almost celestial, use of keyboards and synthesizers which are sprinkled lightly (but no less effectively) throughout their compositions. They help add much-required variety, and correspond well with the astrological nature of the lyrics.

Picking out highlights from such a consistent piece of work (yes consistent, not boring) is a difficult task. But "Exponential Transcendence" does possess those few moments which break away from the clockwork scheme of deathcore. The title track lets Nick Scott show off his technical prowess as a bassist with some very well-executed licks - and Brown's guitar solo towards the end is very tasteful. Not to mention that beastly breakdown (but this is a deathcore record, so I suppose those are two-a-penny). "Inception" and "Perception" contain wonderfully atmospheric, droning intros which set the mood for the rest of the EP perfectly.

It's not a perfect EP: I wish "The Deprivation of Existence" didn't start with a breakdown, emphasizing the redundancy of such a technique. And "The Earth Devoured" can get a bit directionless with it's constant tempo-changes. However, this EP should be celebrated for its brevity. Even on their full-length album, this band understands the importance of concision. Deathcore gets stale - quick! But Aegaeon are smart enough to know that having variety and being to-the-point makes their material tower above their peers.

By all means, purchase this EP - just don't blame me if you feel your brain melting halfway through.