I Might Need a Bullet And a Gun... - 81%

Metal_Jaw, August 19th, 2012

...because there maybe some backlash for a few Accept fanboys out there. This 1986 offering is an often overlooked number in the Teutonic maestros' discography. Most get off on this album, often referring to it as "more mature" or "a return to form". I disagree to a fault. While certainly the structure of the songs are bigger and harder (tee-hee), not to mention the lyrical content being relatively darker in nature, it doesn't really matter in the end. Why? Six out of ten of these songs are totally and utterly forgettable. No choruses that stick, no solid hooks, no memorable riffs, no solid aggression save for a few moments. I don't hate this album at all, but man does it all get irritating to a point.

That being said, one of the saving graces of "Russian Roulette" is the band's performances; this is the truest return to form here. Udo goes back to his rougher, louder screams and croons and it's all for the better; a welcomed return. Jorg Fischer and Wolf Hoffmann hit up some very nice and strong shredding, showing off their true skills a la "Balls To The Wall" and "Restless & Wild" again. Peter Balte's bass is again underscored somewhat, but he always manages to keep a solid rhythm set going along. Even Stefan Kaufmann gets back into gear, rarely keeping quiet and always throwing in a fill or two when you least expect it.

As I said, the songs' quality is pretty weak overall. Most numbers just come and go, rarely sticking or making any sort of solid impression. Numbers like the closer "Stand Tight" have potential but never really get going; this one has a fairly melodic anthem-type chorus but the rest of the song is nothing more than "there". "It's Hard To Find A Way" is a fairly useless ballad which picks up more towards the end, but it's too little too late. "Heaven Is Hell" tries to be epic but sloppily fails, while "Walking In The Shadow" comes armed with a biting chorus but no good riffs or even that great of a solo to back it up. So, is there anything worthwhile in this overrated diatribe? Well, at the end of the day, this is still Accept, am I right?! Once again these guys know how to start an album right, and they start with the satirical speeder "TV Wars", which is followed up by "Monsterman", another fast number with similar structure and catchiness to the last album's "Midnight Mover". The title track is the true epic here, brooding and rising until the group explodes during the chorus with vicious Udo cries and bombastic backing vocals. The last really good song on here is not only the best on the album, but in my opinion an Accept classic. We have "Aiming High! Aiming High! And I'm waiting for relieve, to the best of my believe!" This...song...ROCKS! That chorus will permanently embedded in your skull; it's so damn catchy! The solo and riffs are quite spirited on this too; why couldn't more of the album be like this song?

Overall, I find this album to be quite overrated. Despite the solid lyrics and strong musicianship, most songs just fall flat, rarely making any sort of real mark or being very interesting. I'm just a minority in this and I'm sure the average metal fan will love this album. Even still, I do highly recommend the last four songs, in particular the quality "Aiming High".