© 2002-2020

Auebothiabathabaithoboothableegabongabootybobeuee! - 93%

Artemus_Cain, June 14th, 2009

Absu are a legendary band playing thrashy black metal from Texas. This music on first listen comes to me comes of a cross between Slayer, Possessed, Mayhem, and 1349. When a band crushes together my favorite bands I immediately want to take notice, because it will most probably be a masterpiece or spew leperous pus. Luckilly this album is perfect… mostly.

Every single song is a great mashup between old-school thrash (especially the first three Slayer albums) and the masterpieces of the old and new black metal bands. It’s fast, intense and the drumming is some of the best I’ve heard in my life. I heard drummer Proscriptor tried out for Slayer and would’ve got it if Lombardo didn’t rejoin. If he did get the gig Christ Illusion would’ve been better probably.

Onto the lyrics… okay I’ll be honest I don’t have much to say about them, because I didn’t pay them no mind. The vocals are killer and impressive that Procsriptor can drum like a centurion from hell and make one of the more impressive black metal rasps in recent memory. I believe in Magick, but most of these lyrics take a left turn at WTF St. and Huh Cir. Absu must have graduated from, or created, the Nile school of long ass titles with (deepbreath) “Of The Dead Who Never Rest In Their Tombs Are The Attendance Of Familiar Spirits...(pantpant, deepbreath) Including: A.) Diversified Signs Inscribed B.) Our Earth of Black C.) Voor” and “In The Name Of Auebothiabathabethaboothabookableegabaithobeuee.” If I can barley make heads or tails of the fucking titles than what chance do I have at decoding the lyrics.

I guess I did have a lot to say on the lyrics.

Anyway the only criticism is one I’ve seen a lot in extreme metal since its inception in the 80’s. There’s almost no variation in pace except from the promotion from blisteringly fast to “Why haven’t the picking hands snapped off at the wrist?” most songs blur together and the bands determination to stay in the realm of black/thrash gives no song a distinct identity. The only songs I that really stuck after me after the first listen are “The Absu of Eridu and his Retarded Younger Brother,” “In The Name Of AuebothiabathabaithoputHowardStern'spenisinthehorsesvaginabeuee” and “Amy.” And the song with the longest title has a ambient passage that really doesn't fit and drags the song on way to long.

But after repeated listening, the riffs are catchy and fun; making me label this another masterpiece early in this year giving me hopes that 2009 will be an improvement on 2008. But this leaves me one nagging thought. Everyone else says “Tara” is better than this self titled opus. This makes me think, “If this album was pressed out of angel blood and liquid awesome, what will Tara be like when I finally listen to it? Will the pagan goddesses appear from the spirit world, have sex with me, than give me a pet succubus?”