Abbath is very much alive - 85%

clawsoftime, December 18th, 2015

When one has high expectations of a release, it usually falls way short of that mark. Following all of the Immortal controversy over the last year or so, I have been anxiously awaiting something, or anything, from one of the camps. I am a fan of Immortal and when I finally got my hands on the Count the Dead single from Abbath, I knew I would either love it and sing it's praises or absolutely hate and want to crawl in a hole and cry.

From the first second of the title track, it does something that Immortal had done so well over the years - setting mood and atmosphere. Rain falls and voice shouts through it... "Count the Dead!" The rain continues and blends into the rhythm guitar so well, I could swear that it is "raining" through the entire song.

Abbath's vocals lead the sonic assault as if he were leading the march of an army down to battle. Lucky for us, the imagery set up with Immortal and imagery that Abbath has teased us with over the last few months, makes visualizing something like this, all the easier.

The production itself is big and powerful, like anyone would expect from Immortal recordings. The drums are thunderous and the guitar cut through with precision.

The song is tight and full of NWOBHM - ish inspiration, so much so, I think if you had never heard Immortal, one wouldn't think black metal at all when hearing this.

The b-side to this is a cover of the Judas Priest song, Ride on the Wind. I am not the biggest Priest fan (I know, kill me now) and I wasn't exactly excited to listen to this track. I am very happy to say, I loved it. Being familiar with the original version of the song, it was great to hear it with more intensity than the Priest version.

All in all, I am really impressed with this and cannot wait for Abbath's first full-length next month. This release has done exactly what it was supposed to do. Hush the nay-sayers, give you a taste of what's to come and get you excited.